• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Mafian

DX8 Modes

This topic is 5407 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Ok, I am using the nifty D3DXSprite object for displaying 2D graphics (with alpha blending, rotations, and such). This works great on my computer, but I have a sophisticated graphics card. Friends of mine have brand new computers with factory accellerators, but they can''t run my software! Running games like half-life work on their comps, so I don''t understand what is so complicated with 2d graphics. I was wondering if there is a seperate mode to launch D3D8 so that it can use emulation to make up for low end cards. I would like most people with a half decent card to run my games, not just the top notch gamers! Here is the startup code I use currently:
if(FAILED(lpD3D = Direct3DCreate8(D3D_SDK_VERSION)))
	return 0;

D3DPRESENT_PARAMETERS d3dpp;
memset(&d3dpp, 0, sizeof(d3dpp));
d3dpp.SwapEffect = D3DSWAPEFFECT_DISCARD;
d3dpp.BackBufferWidth = g_ScreenX;
d3dpp.BackBufferHeight = g_ScreenY;
d3dpp.BackBufferFormat = D3DFMT_A8R8G8B8;

//init flags stores creation flags in my function

//one of these flags is for windowed mode.

//WINDOWED MODE//

if(initflags & INIT_FLG_WINDOWED)
	d3dpp.Windowed = TRUE;

if(FAILED(lpD3D->CreateDevice(D3DADAPTER_DEFAULT, D3DDEVTYPE_HAL, hwnd, D3DCREATE_HARDWARE_VERTEXPROCESSING, &d3dpp, &lpD3D_Device)))
	return 0;

if(FAILED(D3DXCreateSprite(lpD3D_Device, &lpD3D_XSprite)))
	return 0;
Like I said, the code is perfectly valid, it just doesnt work for low end cards. If anyone knows how to set up D3D with less hardware capabilities, I would sure like to know...

Advertisement

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

Participate in the game development conversation and more when you create an account on GameDev.net!

Sign me up!