flexible multiuse function...

Started by
9 comments, last by Floating 20 years, 7 months ago
Hi, I have an API (DLL) with many hundreds of commands but only about 40 functions. It looks like this:

enum { command1=0, command2,command3,command4, etc.};

bool function1(int commandID,int arg1,int arg2,float* arg3);
bool function2(int commandID,int arg1,float arg2,float* arg3);
bool function3(int commandID,int arg1,float arg2,char* arg3);
etc.
A same function can be called with different commandIDs, but the argument list has to match the function's argument list. Like this: function1(command1,intArg1,intArg2,floatPointer); function1(command3,intArg1,intArg2,floatPointer); This is working fine but I want to do it more easy and flexible. I want to declare my functions like this: bool function1(int commandID,void* arg1,void* arg2,void* arg3); so that I can pass just any argument type. The only problem is when an argument passed is not a variable, like that: function1(command1,100.0f,15,3); This won't compile. I tried to append a '&' to get the address of the constants but it doesn't work of course! What are my options? I could do: float a=100.0f; int b=15; int c=3; function1(command1,&a,&b,&c); but that's not nice at all. How can I call the function with constant values in one line? It this possible? I hope I was not too confusing (^_^; Thanks [edited by - Floating on September 3, 2003 8:45:17 PM]
Advertisement
Is there anyway you can template the functions and have the compiler generate the needed functions?

switch(commandID) {    case command1:        // insert code that should be in its own function        break;    case command2:        // insert more code that should be in its own function        break;}   
Why can't you just have separate functions if you want them to do different things?

[edited by - Raloth on September 3, 2003 10:20:21 PM]
____________________________________________________________AAAAA: American Association Against Adobe AcrobatYou know you hate PDFs...
quote:Original post by Raloth
switch(commandID) {    case command1:        // insert code that should be in its own function        break;    case command2:        // insert more code that should be in its own function        break;}     
Why can't you just have separate functions if you want them to do different things?

[edited by - Raloth on September 3, 2003 10:20:21 PM]

Because I have more than 200 commands! I cannot have a function for each. And new functions are added everyday!

It is much nicer to have to add just an entry in the enum field of the header file than to have to rewrite a function each time.

[edited by - Floating on September 3, 2003 12:10:23 AM]
So instead of 200 functions, you have 200 case blocks? Doesnt seem like its that much trouble to just make them functions...

Lord Hen
quote:Original post by Lord Hen
So instead of 200 functions, you have 200 case blocks? Doesnt seem like its that much trouble to just make them functions...

Lord Hen

I don''t care about the source file, I care about the header file (that''s what people using my API will see!). I want my header file to be small, clean and easily readable like:

// Commandsenum{loadScene=0, // arg1 is the file nameaddPrimitive, // arg1 is the type, arg2 is the coloretc.and not:extern "C" __declspec(dllexport) bool loadScene(char* name);extern "C" __declspec(dllexport) bool addPrimitive(int type,float* color);

If I add a new command which uses an already existing function, I don''t need to distribute everytime a new lib file. I can just distribute the dll and the header file
Can you make your header available online? That could help solving your problem.
quote:Original post by Floating
enum { command1=0, command2,command3,command4, etc.};bool function1(int commandID,int arg1,int arg2,float* arg3);bool function2(int commandID,int arg1,float arg2,float* arg3);bool function3(int commandID,int arg1,float arg2,char* arg3);etc.

A same function can be called with different commandIDs, but the argument list has to match the function''s argument list. Like this:

function1(command1,intArg1,intArg2,floatPointer);
function1(command3,intArg1,intArg2,floatPointer);

This is working fine but I want to do it more easy and flexible. I want to declare my functions like this:

bool function1(int commandID,void* arg1,void* arg2,void* arg3);

so that I can pass just any argument type. The only problem is when an argument passed is not a variable, like that:

function1(command1,100.0f,15,3);

This won''t compile. I tried to append a ''&'' to get the address of the constants but it doesn''t work of course! What are my options?
I could do:

[edited by - Floating on September 3, 2003 8:45:17 PM]

Why would you pass a constant when your argument requires a pointer???

Perhaps:

// With a float pointer as the last argtemplate<typename A, typename B>function1(int command, A a, B b, float *c);// Using a constant as the last argtemplate<typename A, typename B, typename C>function2(int command, A a, B b, C c);
The obvious solution (and I don''t know why nobody has suggested it yet) is to have a single function using varargs (just like printf). In the source you have a big switch statement and the usual varargs code:
#include < cstdargs >bool function( int commandID, ... ){    va_list args;    va_start( commandID );     switch ( commandID )    {        and so on  
The drawback is no type-checking.
John BoltonLocomotive Games (THQ)Current Project: Destroy All Humans (Wii). IN STORES NOW!
you should try with templates but if you want to do it your way just do

bool function1(int commandID,void* arg1,void* arg2,void* arg3)
{
int a=(int)arg1;
int b=(int)arg2;
etc...

}

and call the function like that

function1(command1,(void*)10,(void*)b,(void*)c);

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement