to x file or not to x file...

Started by
3 comments, last by byrdJR 20 years, 7 months ago
when creating terrain for your game, do you use an exported mesh or do you make it manually? which is the optimal option?
Peace!
Advertisement
What do you mean? On a very simple terrain engine I wrote it used a vertex buffer for the terrain.
Admittedly, it could therefore only go up to 104x104, but that was because I only used a single buffer...

[Website] [+++ Divide By Cucumber Error. Please Reinstall Universe And Reboot +++]

please read Articles & Resources / Landscapes & Terrain..
also there''s alot of good tutorials on the net.

I think the most used format for terrains is a heightmap..
--------------------------------------------------------I'm not crazy, It's the TV that's crazy. Aren't you, TV?--------------------------------------------------------
I wrote a tool to export terrain meshes as .X file meshes. I then used X files divided in to an octree to render terrain.
"The Holocaust was an obscene period in our nation's history. I mean in this century's history. But we all lived in this century. I didn't live in this century."...Governor George W. Bush, 9/15/95
I think It''s easier to use and create terrain patches from heightmap.. that is if you dont want overhangs..
here''s a simple tutorial. just make it work with patches.
--------------------------------------------------------I'm not crazy, It's the TV that's crazy. Aren't you, TV?--------------------------------------------------------

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement