3D platformer

Started by
3 comments, last by LowellDude 20 years, 7 months ago
im new to the gamming world and am wondering what types of components need to go into making a 3D platformer type of game. I know of particle engine, physics library, terrain editor, collision detection and basic AI. Im wondering if anyone knows any other core components for a 3D platformer. Thanks in advance.
Advertisement
Ummm...I think any 3d game needs those things. It''s not just specific to platformers. You will want a specialized terrain system though that can handle ledges and things.
____________________________________________________________AAAAA: American Association Against Adobe AcrobatYou know you hate PDFs...
Just use .bsp maps.
You might want some graphics, input, sound, memory management, resource management, file management...you know, general game engine stuff, you''d be screwed without them.
APE
Since you are new(assuming that you are), maybe it is best to stay off the 3D subject. I have been programming for about 1 1/2 years now and still haven''t gotten that far (close but not yet).

Umm... i think the most important thing in a 3D platformer is the camera. Good games have been killed(what i say killed, i mean KILLED) from bad cameras. The camera is non-responsive or too responsive, gives a bad angle, or is just plain odd *dumb*.
3D in general is difficult.

Another thing is detail. Detail is everything in a game. A game with low detail doesn''t look perfect but still is playable at a constant 50-60 fps which is good. Movie like quality is REALLY good but with a framerate of 25 fps, it looks even worse than the low-detailed one obviosly. And that is what make 3D programming so hard, finding that balance.

Did i get off topic? Umm... go get a game programming book because i have just wasted 5 minutes of your precious time!

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement