engines

Started by
14 comments, last by Kenncoh 20 years, 7 months ago
"no it is not. they are equally fast"

It is insane to think that to APIs would have exactly equal speed. You have slightly more control over the hardware in DirectX, but OpenGL has the advantage of cutting developement costs because it takes less work to get an equal product. With DirectX it is possible to make it faster than you can with OpenGL, but developers don't always do it.

EDIT: And, of course, OpenGL is cross platform, which is a huge advantage.

[edited by - PlayGGY on September 8, 2003 1:54:03 PM]
And the rockets' red glare, the bombs bursting in air,gave proof through the fight that our flag was still there.Oh say, does that star-spangled banner yet waveover the land of the free and the home of the brave?
Advertisement
You only have one GPU, both APIs access the same hardware. If there is any difference in speed it is driver related. Some drivers are more optimized for Direct3D and some are more tuned for OpenGL. There is no real difference.

quote:OpenGL has the advantage of cutting developement costs because it takes less work to get an equal product

Where do you get that idea? Development time depends on the skill of the developers, not which API they are using.

[edited by - CodeMunkie on September 8, 2003 1:58:29 PM]
"When you die, if you get a choice between going to regular heaven or pie heaven, choose pie heaven. It might be a trick, but if it's not, mmmmmmm, boy."
How to Ask Questions the Smart Way.
"Where do you get that idea? Development time depends on the skill of the developers, not which API they are using."

Look...

OpenGL doesn''t make you write as much code for the same result.
And the rockets' red glare, the bombs bursting in air,gave proof through the fight that our flag was still there.Oh say, does that star-spangled banner yet waveover the land of the free and the home of the brave?
quote:Original post by PlayGGY
"Where do you get that idea? Development time depends on the skill of the developers, not which API they are using."

Look...

OpenGL doesn''t make you write as much code for the same result.

you need less code in opengl to set things up, but the actual rendering code is mych the same, first you fill in a vertex buffer, which is just a standard pointer to a buffer where you can place your vertices, and then to render, just a call to DrawPrimitive in dx, or a call to some function I don''t know (assuming you use vertex buffers), in ogl.

maybe if you draw vertices with glBegin() glEnd() blocks it might make a difference, but with vertex buffers, it''s exactly the same

and if the code to set things up in ogl would take a few milliseconds longer... who gives a fuck. thats only called once at the beginning of the program (btw. in my experience, directx takes much longer to initialize than ogl)

My Site
and in what way do you have more control over the hardware when using directx? I haven''t seen anything in dx yet that could not be done in ogl.

My Site
Kenncoh, forget those two. I have used both OpenGL and DirectX extensively, and like them both. Here is the breakdown:

OpenGL is MUCH easier to use and quicker to set up. I think you will have a much smoother time learning graphics programming if you don''t have to deal with the sometimes confusing overhead of Direct3D. After that, you can try Direct3D and see which you like better, because many a war has been waged over which is best and still noone knows. Many deaths...

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement