engines

Started by
14 comments, last by Kenncoh 20 years, 7 months ago
i am trying to decide wheter i should go with OpenGL or DirectX...i have no clue about either one...which one is easier to learn? which is more powerful? e.t.c if someone can answer these questions it would be most appreciated
Advertisement
http://www.gamedev.net/reference/articles/article1775.asp
Hi Kenncoh!

I''ve started with DirectX because I felt that there is a lot of information out there that can quickly help me learn it. I''m currently working though Jim Adam''s Programming Role-Playing Games with DirectX. My goal is to develop my own 3d engine and then my own game as quickly as possible. I''ve spent a few weeks learning about windows programming before I started the book and then a few weeks into the book has allowed me to write a program which loads a 3d model which I can fly around and view from any position.

---
Today, is a good day to code.
---"Some men see things as they are and say why? I dream things that never were and say "Why not?" - Robert Francis Kennedy (1925-68), US Attorney General||Please try alpha002.zip(663k)
mac

James Simmons
MindEngine Development
http://medev.sourceforge.net
lol This question comes up all the time...Ok a quick answer: It doesn't really matter which one you choose just choose the one you like the most. I like OpenGL most people say OpenGL is the easiest one to learn from the two but I think that depends on the person you might like DX better just choose the one you feel more confortable with. You might also want to consider that DX only works on windows unlike OpenGL but if you want to program for windows only that's not really a problem.

[edited by - FtMonkey on September 5, 2003 1:12:44 AM]
The monkeys are listening...
Is opengl easy to set up in a windows programming environment and is it easy to set up with visual c++?

---
Today, is a good day to code.
---"Some men see things as they are and say why? I dream things that never were and say "Why not?" - Robert Francis Kennedy (1925-68), US Attorney General||Please try alpha002.zip(663k)
Yes.

I realy havnt done any programming with Direct 3D so i cant tell you anything about that. I will leave that up to someone else

[edited by - starboarder on September 7, 2003 9:19:16 PM]
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -www.Vision-Software.org
One plus to DirectX is that it has ir all (Graphics, Sound, Input, Etc...).
Yep, DirectX has EVERYTHING, and it is slightly faster, but OpenGL is easier. OpenGL is still very powerful, though, which is why some commercial games use it. But either one, you will probably end up using Direct Input.
And the rockets' red glare, the bombs bursting in air,gave proof through the fight that our flag was still there.Oh say, does that star-spangled banner yet waveover the land of the free and the home of the brave?
quote:Original post by PlayGGY
and it is slightly faster

no it is not. they are equally fast

My Site

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement