memory mapped files

Started by
1 comment, last by Austrian Coder 20 years, 7 months ago
Hi! I am tring to do the following: Open a file, map it to memory and print the content to the console. Sounds easy.... Here my try:

m_hFile = CreateFile(Archivname, GENERIC_READ | GENERIC_WRITE, 0, NULL,  OPEN_EXISTING, FILE_ATTRIBUTE_NORMAL, NULL);

// could not open file

if (m_hFile == INVALID_HANDLE_VALUE)
{
	return false;
}

// create file mapping

m_hMapFile = CreateFileMapping(m_hFile, NULL, PAGE_READWRITE, 0, 0, NULL);

if (m_hMapFile == NULL) 
{
	return false;
}  

// create view of file

m_lpMapAddress = MapViewOfFile(m_hMapFile, FILE_MAP_ALL_ACCESS, 0, 0, 0);

if (m_lpMapAddress == NULL) 
{
	return false;
}

// write the content of the file

cout << (char*)m_lpMapAddress << endl;

HANDLE		m_hMapFile;           // handle for the test file''s memory-mapped region

HANDLE		m_hFile;              // the file handle

LPVOID		m_lpMapAddress;       // pointer to the base address of the memory-mapped region

Whats wrong? Is there a good tutorial out in the net? I have found this one: http://www.flipcode.com/tutorials/tut_filemapping.shtml But i only discuss how to open, map and clode files... Thanks, Christian
Advertisement
That should work fine. However, since the file will most likely not have a trailing 0 byte, it won''t know when to stop writing the contents to the screen.

Kippesoep
Ok... i have fixed that now, i hope.

m_hFile = CreateFile(Archivname, GENERIC_READ | GENERIC_WRITE, FILE_SHARE_READ, NULL, OPEN_EXISTING, FILE_ATTRIBUTE_NORMAL, NULL);// could not open fileif (m_hFile == INVALID_HANDLE_VALUE){	return false;}DWORD maxLen = GetFileSize(m_hFile, NULL);// create file mappingm_hMapFile = CreateFileMapping(m_hFile, NULL, PAGE_READWRITE, 0, maxLen, NULL);if (m_hMapFile == NULL) {	return false;}  // create view of filem_lpMapAddress = MapViewOfFile(m_hMapFile, FILE_MAP_ALL_ACCESS, 0, 0, 0);if (m_lpMapAddress == NULL) {	return false;}cout << (char*)m_lpMapAddress << endl;

And it works... it prints test into the console

[edited by - Austrian Coder on September 4, 2003 6:44:38 AM]

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement