Wolfenstein clones?

Started by
8 comments, last by Ut 23 years, 9 months ago
I''ve got an engine working that most closely resembles Wolfenstein. I want to survey a few of those games at the time to see ideas they employed. So anyone remember any good ''ol games of the Wolfy era? So far I''ve tracked down Blake Stone Catacombs Abyss Shadow Caster Terminator Rampage Wolfenstein What I''m looking for are games that definately are pre-Doom. I realize that some are hazy, being a quasi Wolf/Doom mix, but that''s ok. I just can''t do complex architecture such as variable height cielings and floors, or slopes and what have you. I''m looking for decent games too, not just "Gigglywigs of Tritan 4" used a Wolf engine! I''m hoping that maybe you guys can remember games that looked like Wolf but were fun to play too. All right, I''ve rambled long enough. Thanks! Ut
Advertisement
Well Now,

Just a wild guess now but what about
Rise Of The Triad. And I know
Blood & Duke Nukem 3D used the same
engine and editors.

STVOY

Mega Moh Mine!!
Well, Duke Numken 3D was a Doom style engine, so you''d have to rule that out. I don''t know of any games that haven''t been mentioned, but I would take a look at the 3d engine site and the pxd tutorials. (try pxdtut7.zip and pxdtut8.zip on yahoo). Those may help you with some ideas for what you could add to an engine without alot of fancy stuff. Also, try fog and shading.

Ben
Ultima Underworld predates Wolfenstein 3D. In fact iD always loved stating how Wolf3D ran faster than Underworld {of course it wasn''t as detailed, but they seem to have failed to mention that }
I''m pretty sure that Doom (and Doom II?), Wolfenstein, and Duke3D all used the Build engine and editor.

------------------------------
Changing the face of adventure gaming...
Atypical Interactive
------------------------------Changing the future of adventure gaming...Atypical Interactive
Well Now,

I have to agree with Alex, I always
thought they used the same engine as well.

STVOY

Mega Moh Mine!!
Hey, Alex, If that''s true, which I''m not questioning, how did they do the variable height cielings and floors and the non-orthogonal walls? Were Doom''s levels made of polygons? My caster follows the "Tricks of the Game Programming Gurus" model and just cast a ray out to scan a whole column of the view area. Do you know how the Doom engine was able to render it''s features, cast for every pixel or what have you? Thanks.

Ut
No, Alex is wrong- the only game he listed that uses the Build engine is Duke 3D.
No, Wolfenstein, Doom (& Doom II), and Duke Nukem 3D all used different engines. Wolfenstein was one engine, then Doom used another, more advanced one (& Doom II was the same one, mildly improved), and Duke Nukem 3D used the BUILD engine, written by Ken Silverman at 3D Realms (it had slopes and more interactivity than Doom). As to the original question, the only other one I can think of is Corridor 7.
I just did a search for "Terminator Rampage" on yahoo and found a link to a site with all pre-Doom games.

http://www.3dgamers.com/3daction/Pre-Doom/

Knock yourself out,
Eck

EckTech Games - Games and Unity Assets I'm working on
Still Flying - My GameDev journal
The Shilwulf Dynasty - Campaign notes for my Rogue Trader RPG

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement