The end of sequence effect in the film 2001

Started by
2 comments, last by Rags 20 years, 7 months ago
I''m probably trying to jump before I can walk really... but I''ve been hacking around with opengl for a few weeks now and I was wondering how easy it would be to simulate the end of sequence effect that appears in the file 2001 - a space odyssey, I''m sure everyone has saw the effect and seen the film... I just wondered if any of you guys have achieved this effect and could possible give me a few pointers...or give me an example. not sure but I was planning to have two planes.. one in the top part of the screen and the other in the bottom half of the screen, I would then texture these planes... but how do I go about getting the texture to come towards you and seem endless.. I would then try to add some movement with the mouse so I could rotate the planes around the screen.. so make them move from top and bottom to left and right... or am I barking up the wrong tree.. any information would be useful guys... Rags (OpenGL novice and virgin)
Advertisement
Yeah, that would be really cool. or like the end of Brainstorm!
is it something like the effect in perfect dark where you end or die in a stage? Its been a long while when I saw that movie!

---------------------------
The pipes clangor all the time.
---------------------------The pipes clangor all the time.
Have a look at lesson 20 as you suggest the texture is scrolling indefinitely over the quad as follows

glBindTexture(GL_TEXTURE_2D, texture[0]);
// Select Our Logo Texture

glBegin(GL_QUADS);

// Start Drawing A Textured Quad
glTexCoord2f(0.0f, -roll+0.0f); glVertex3f(-1.1f, -1.1f, 0.0f);
glTexCoord2f(3.0f, -roll+0.0f); glVertex3f( 1.1f, -1.1f, 0.0f);
glTexCoord2f(3.0f, -roll+3.0f); glVertex3f( 1.1f, 1.1f, 0.0f);
glTexCoord2f(0.0f, -roll+3.0f); glVertex3f(-1.1f, 1.1f, 0.0f);
glEnd();

then at the end

roll+=0.002f;
// Increase Our Texture Roll Variable