• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Bobboau

hardware lighting

This topic is 5567 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

hoow would one be able to use more than the maximum of 8 hardware lights, would this require some sort of multipassing or is there a better way?

Advertisement
It can''t be done as far as I know (though this is from OpenGL, but I''m guessing their the same). I think there may be OpenGL extensions that allow this, but I don''t know with DirectX.

there has to be some way to do it, I mean if nothing else I could multi pass, I just think there might be a better way is all

so the usage of vertex shaders will (could) remove (raise) this limitation?
this is good as we are going to need VSs for the beam lights anyway
but it would still have a static limit, and wouldn''t be very backwards compatable with older cards, I want to set up a system that will be very flexable and alow up to 256 lights (never going to get anywere near that, but that is the current max of total sceen lights, and I want to acomidate a system tha could in threory use them all) I guess multipassing is the only way around it for shure, at a medium level.

quote:
Original post by Bobboau
so the usage of vertex shaders will (could) remove (raise) this limitation?
this is good as we are going to need VSs for the beam lights anyway
but it would still have a static limit, and wouldn't be very backwards compatable with older cards, I want to set up a system that will be very flexable and alow up to 256 lights (never going to get anywere near that, but that is the current max of total sceen lights, and I want to acomidate a system tha could in threory use them all) I guess multipassing is the only way around it for shure, at a medium level.

If you want to use 256 lights at the same time, you're frame rate is gonna be pretty bad, no matter what hardware you're running on.

One thing you could do is only activate the lights that affect the geometry inside you're current view. Or maybe you could activate just the 10 closest lights to your view position and approximate the rest of the lights by a few ambient values. If a light is really far away (outside it's maximum range) then it would be a waste of time to use this light to generate your scene.

Another thing is that if a light is completely blocked by a wall (or some other object, or possibly enclosed in another room) then that light will not contribute anything to your scene, so it would be a waste of time to calculate its' contribution.

You can't really have 256 lights going at one time but with some carefull planning, your users shouldn't be able to tell the difference.

Hope this helps,
neneboricua

[edited by - neneboricua19 on September 21, 2003 5:58:08 PM]

it''s never going to get more than, at the absolute most probly no more that 12 lights at a time, and that would be extreemly rare, I just wanted a system that could theoreticaly handel an unlimitaed amount of lights

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

GameDev.net is your game development community. Create an account for your GameDev Portfolio and participate in the largest developer community in the games industry.

Sign me up!