Right cam/object setup for rendering impostors

Started by
4 comments, last by VanKurt 20 years, 7 months ago
Hi there! Until now I created impostors in a fast/dirty way, which looked OK. But now I want to do that the RIGHT way! What I did so far was to place the camera some units away from the object, render it to texture and then put that onto an axial-bilboard. The problem here is that the original object and the pre-rendered one don''t look the same; the bilboard-image is a little diplaced/stretched etc... So I''d like to know more about the way the camera and the object have to be placed/orientated when rendering the texture. I''m also not quite sure what size (X/Y) the billboard should have later on. And: are these settings object-dependend? Or have they to be calculated for every object? Thanks for your help!!!
Advertisement
Huh? Nobody?
Maybe I explained the problem not clearly enough?

Lets say I have a camera (Position, LookAt-vector etc.) and an object (vertex cloud, bounding box etc.). And now I want to exchange the "real" object by a impostor (billboard).
What is the right setup for this render-to-texture-scene?

Where do I have to place the camera, where the object? How do I have to orientate the camera? And how big has the billboard-quad to be?

And can I use these settings for every object, or is there a formula to calculate these things (for every object) ???

Thanks for your help!
Allright. If nobody knows an answer, then maybe someone got a link to a paper or something? I didn''t find a good one on this topic...
Just orient the model with the camera looking straight at it, do the render, then use that as your texture for the billboard. You shouldn''t have distortions if you did your calculations right..
I don''t think that that''s so simple! (Or is it???)

I have to place the camera near the object, so that the obj. covers the whole screen when rendering the texture. But I don''t kwo how exactly...

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement