Are power-maxers the majority?

Started by
12 comments, last by Facehat 23 years, 9 months ago
Is there a difference between playing to achieve and playing to win? If i play to achieve a goal them am i playing to win. Not always.

Taking diablo online, who is playing to win. That is, what are they winning?

I love Game Design and it loves me back.
Advertisement
Well, I think "win" was being used in the context of achieving. "Winning" as in being the best at whatever (killing stuff, casting big fire balls, etc.)

People are playing Diablo to get to the next level and eventually kill Diablo for the most part.

"The road of excess leads to the palace of wisdom." --William Blake
Need help? Well, go FAQ yourself. "Just don't look at the hole." -- Unspoken_Magi
That's also why I often don't like games to be too linear and confining...'cause there's only one path to go (one way to "win"). Too much linearity makes the concept of "winning" even more evident in the players' minds.

...at least IMHO...

Well if bashing linearity doesn't get the fish of land back...nothing will

"The road of excess leads to the palace of wisdom." --William Blake

Edited by - Nazrix on July 5, 2000 12:08:21 AM
Need help? Well, go FAQ yourself. "Just don't look at the hole." -- Unspoken_Magi
Well lets say that a row of achievments equals a goal. This i''m happy with :-). So it could be said that some players play to achieve and others play for a goal. Here we have 2 slightly different gamers which could be the game gamers depending on their mood.

When a gamer plays to achieve would it be fare to say that they are powermaxing less than the player who plays for a goal?

I love Game Design and it loves me back.

Our Goal is "Fun"!

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement