• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

CaptCanada

Hardware Acceleration et al

This topic is 5388 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi all I have just started to learn OpenGL using the OpenGL SuperBible and have read thru it and wonder about two things: 1.) How can I tell/determine whether or not the OpenGL programs in the book are using hardware accleration and 2.) There is a chapter on building models in OpenGL and wonder if I used Truespace 3.2 to make a model, would I need a custom routine to load the model into an OpenGL program to display the model? I am sure it would be easier this way than building the modeling within OpenGL itself. Thanks for any help to this OpenGL newbie! BTW, this API rocks and I now wonder why anyone would want to learn DX? :> Don Cathcart

Advertisement
AFAIK, OpenGL uses acceleration always (if it can), otherwise glGetString(GL_VENDOR); return Micro$oft GDI or something like that!

Hi fellow Nova Scotian,

If you go to the NeHe OpenGL web site, there is an article called "Reading Simple Data From A Caligari TrueSpace File" by Dave Kerr that goes through the basics of how to load a model using c++. Here is a link that takes you to the article: TrueSpace Loader.

OpenGL hardware acceleration is determined by the graphics hardware and its supporting driver and not the OpenGL API itself. So when you run one of the examples from the OpenGL SuperBible, it may be hardware accelerated if the underlying graphics hardware supports some form of acceleration like doing transforms, lighting, and texturing.

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

Participate in the game development conversation and more when you create an account on GameDev.net!

Sign me up!