• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

PixieDust

Resolution and OpenGL question.

This topic is 5390 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I am starting to learn OpenGL using glut, game glut to be more specific. I just finished the first tutorial on initializing a window using OpenGl but one line I have a question about.
glutGameModeString("800x600:16");     // Select The 800x600 In 16bpp Mode
I want to make it 1024x768 which is no problem I just changed the 800x600 to 1024x768 but im not sure about the "16" part. Is that 16 bit color mode? Is it OK to change that to 32? I am sure this will all affect performace, I just dont want to do anything that will cause crashes later on. Thanks

Advertisement
For the Question:

Yes, 16 stand for a 16bit-Colorscreen. I think you can change it to 32bit-Color without Problems latre on. Also you can prevend later on Error if you change the deep to 32bit, because a 32bit-Deepbuffer gives better results with the drawing of nearby Polygons. I think the 16 is used for Color and Deepbuffer size.

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

Participate in the game development conversation and more when you create an account on GameDev.net!

Sign me up!