• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Nizro

Half Life BSP-format

This topic is 5472 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi Does anyone here know the HL BSP-format? I''ve tried loading it with my Quake 3 BSP-loader, but all I got was one hell of error-messages, so... I would be happy if any of you know how the format has been build up? - Nizze

Advertisement
Some of the BSP C structs are included in the Half-Life SDK.

I''ve heard that they are not entirely correct though, you''d better ask at the hlcoders mailing list. That''s the place for such questions.(Not really... but good enough.)

http://list.valvesoftware.com/mailman/listinfo/hlcoders

I can''t access it right now though, so I can''t search for any previously posted data.

Hi,

Half Life is based on the Quake2 engine. So you may have a look to the Quake2 bsp file format...

Hope that help

Plotark
Plotark at ifrance dot com

Are you using original BSP files or are you making your own maps? If your using your own maps then use the .map file format instead - it''s much easier to convert.

quote:
Original post by plotark
Half Life is based on the Quake2 engine.

Not that it really matters, but Half-Life is actually based on the Quake 1 engine.

Halflife is actually based on a modified Quake 1 engine, Bart Sekura did a level viewer at one stage but the site seems to be gone, you may still find it on cfxweb.

Quake 2 is build on Quake 1''s engine so Halflife''s engine is buld on Quae 2''s engine that is build on quake 1''s engine. And basicley all those engines are something from quake 1 :S
Hurray to Quake 1 !!!

actually, Half Life only has about 50 lines from Quake2, the rest is from the original GLQuake engine. Here''s proof:

http://collective.valve-erc.com/index.php?go=q1_or_q2

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!