[java] The size of runtimes?

Started by
17 comments, last by Shu 20 years, 6 months ago
I actually think that C programs have too much overhead when I have to download lastest MFC and crt library and put them to proper directories. You have just need to Download 8 Java programs and JVM to have used as much bandwith as when you downloaded 8 C programs.
Of course major Java advantages are multiplatform capabilities, stability and more easy and mantainable writen code translated less bugs. It''s true that for smaller programs you''d use MASM.
It''s true too that you have to distribute less, sometimes much less when you''d use Java and user has JVM installed on his computer.
Advertisement
hmmm. i wonder if it''s easy to make a JVM sniffer for a download page, so that the user wouldn''t need to download the package with JVM if they already have one?

i would love to use java.
I know there''s a &#106avascript for it, but I don''t remember the actual script, found it many times asking if it could be done in php to put on an image sig but the answer was always no..
i wonder how people have dealt with this issue? there has to be some way to find out if the user has JVM installed. a way that doesn''t require &#106avascript or technical user activity.<br><br>doesn''t JVM come with Windows / Internet Explorer so that 99% of Windows users have it by default?<br><br>i wish there was a page about all this basic stuff somewhere. it takes a lot of time to do the basic "research" if you have absolutely no previous experience with Java projects.<br>
quote:Original post by Shu
i wonder how people have dealt with this issue? there has to be some way to find out if the user has JVM installed. a way that doesn''t require &#106avascript or technical user activity.

Getting a Java app to the end user is rarely an automatic process. Perhaps a consequence of Java never really taking off in the end user market.

But with that said, it''s still not difficult. If they have a modern JRE installed, they can launch your application easily, either via Webstart or just double clicking your .jar file.

If they don''t have a JRE, then they can download it. Yup, it''s a big file, so is the .NET runtime, so is a typical Scheme interpreter, so is the Visual Basic runtime... Runtimes are becoming the norm, fighting them is likely futile. If they don''t want to download the JRE, then you''re screwed. That happens, like I said, Java and the end user market haven''t quite clicked yet, they may never click. One of the consequences of using Java, if that potential consequence is too great then you''ll need to use something else.

quote:
doesn''t JVM come with Windows / Internet Explorer so that 99% of Windows users have it by default?

It''s a very old, bastardized JVM. Not worth the effort.
Make the users download from Sun''s Java page----the JRE is small enough to fit onto a floppy disk. Its currently Java(TM) 2 Runtime Enviroment 1.4.2_01. In my opinion that is a small file.

You can fit 13 megs onto one floppy?
Nah, they''ve changed it so that its a tiny little executable file that then sucks down the files over the net before it does its install. It''ll fit on a floppy, but its still got to download itself so i''ve no idea why the AP recommends it :S
Oh that''s right, Java only runs on Windows

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement