• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Andy wan

About MMORPG's client logic?

This topic is 5479 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I will work for a MMORPG''s client logic. Who could tell me what I should pay attention to and what I should learn. I use python. Thanks!

Advertisement
all of the important logic should be server-side, since anything on the client can be hacked.

so, the client should only handle graphics/display, input, etc.

In EverQuest, your melee weapons have a delay. I believe the server just receives whether or not you have activated your attack, and the server then just sends you messages about what happens based on your target, your position and your orientation.

When you click on an item in inventory, you do not successfully grab the item until the server confirms it. The item also does not place anywhere until the server confirms you were successful.

The same is true for starting transactions with merchants, opening trade boxes with other players, etc.

About the only thing the server does not confirm is your ability to move. You can move however you like, and the server eventually reports your position to everyone else.

I''m not certain, but I believe all of that is true.

So, in short, with the exception of movement, every click that causes a game altering effect does nothing on your screen until the server confirms that it took place. Your client is no more than a window to the game world that is actually running on the server.

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!