• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Lucidquiet

Degree -- got milk?

This topic is 5477 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I''m sort of curious as to the amount of education at gamedev. Not because I''m one who believs highly in higher education, but lately I''ve been asking some fairly in depth questions, and the answers are rather informed... and although I think just poking around an OS with computer programming language, and a lot of perseverence. And a will not to give up ''till you figure somethings out -- I still gotta wonder how many people who frequent gamedev have degrees and studies stuff like, ADTs, algortihm study, Physics, diff eq, linear algebra, logics/digital circuits, etc... so what eduction do you have? " ''No one has control -- control is just a fantasy. And being human is difficult.'' "

Advertisement
I have a College Degree as a Systems/Programmer Analyst. Game Development is a hobby, I''d like to have a job in the fields but its not something I''m really driving for..

Please visit Turt99 Productions

BSc. in CS, graduated about five months ago.

Making games is just a hobby, I don''t think I ever want to do it professionally...it would ruin the fun for me.

I have a BS in CS and I''m working on my thesis in the area of Global Illumination and Ray Tracing to finish up my Master''s degree. I''ve worked in the graphics division of a flight simulation company and did research at an IHV.

neneboricua

I'm a highschool dropout and my first programming job got me 32K a year. Not much, but I'm working at home, and developing my own game in my spare time. School was a total waste of time for me. I wish I had paid attention less and programmed more. Should have been able to say, "I never let school get in the way of my education."

~Aeroum

[edited by - aeroum on September 22, 2003 2:18:45 PM]

Finished about half of a CS degree (with about 3/4 of the computer courses needed). I felt I was wasting my time, and stayed at my summer job long past the end of summer.

All my jobs have been programming, though in a variety of areas (structured drawing, a web browser, keyboard controllers, chess java applet/server, digital video switchers, various cable modems, and now PC/XBox games).

Guest Anonymous Poster
School was a total waste of time for me also. So I left.
It''s funny now to realize I''ve learned more than many who hold BA''s in CS.. For me self studying was and is the way to go.
Google is not only free but more informative than any college course. But ironically it won''t help land a job..

I suspect there are other self taught programmers around who are able to code circles around CS majors, yet cannot find jobs in the industry due to a lack of papyrus called a degree.

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!