Tutorials...

Started by
2 comments, last by jonnii 20 years, 7 months ago
Hay Guys! I've just started doing a lot of DX9, but i need to find a good Tutorial site covering Managed DX9 in C#, specifically stuff that doesnt focus on the fixed function pipeline. Also, include any books that might be of help. Also, a question: What are Vertex Buffers, Index Buffers and how do they relate to rendering vertices. Are they similar to OGL display lists? What is the difference between a compiled one and a non-compiled one? thanks [edited by - jonnii on September 22, 2003 3:00:09 PM]
-jonnii=========jon@voodooextreme.comwww.voodooextreme.com
Advertisement
Have you seen Andy Pike''s Tutorials? They are not C# but they are pretty handy and they do discuss your second problem.

Now if I can only remember where I got them...they were from discussion thread in this forum.

Rats, the serach engine on this site is not working so I can''t look where it was!

Brian Reinhold
Brian Reinhold
See this thread for links and info on AndyPike:
http://www.gamedev.net/community/forums/topic.asp?topic_id=161266

Tadd
- WarbleWare
Tadd- WarbleWare
well here is the link to my page, not really tutorials but samples that might be usefull if you want them http://www.geocities.com/l33harveyoswald/ also i do have a skinmesh example if you want that, but everything i have made, that is readable, is fixed function. Even so, i hope it helps a little bit. PS i dont have the space to post the skinmesh example on the site so if you want it please give me an e-mail at hippiehunter@msn.com

now for the second question Vertex Buffers hold information about one specific point, such as (1,2,3) a vertex buffer will hold lots of vertices. if you are rendering a vertex buffer with something like triangle lists you are telling d3d to render every three vertices as a triangle, in order.

An index buffer is just a bunch of single numbers, such as (1). if you are using a vertexbuffer to hold vertices and are using the index buffer to hold indices, and are telling d3d to render using indexed triangle lists(or any other indexed primative for that matter) then it will open up the vertex buffer and see something like this
v1 = (2,6,4)
v2 = (1,-3,6)
v3 = (9,3,5)

and something like this for the index buffer

it will draw this vertices in the order 1st 3rd 2nd, yes the order matters. the niftyness of index buffers becomes apearant when you draw gobs of vertices that share points with other triangles, you dont place the coordinates to each point you only place the coordinates for each unique point and then tell d3d to render in the apropriate order using an index buffer.

its kindof late here and i need to go to sleep now so this explanation will have to do untill someone else gives a better one.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement