Jump to content
  • Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Greatwolf

Help, SDL & Borland & Debugger = no worky!

This topic is 5390 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Recommended Posts

Hi all, I''m running into a strange problem and not sure what the cause could be. I notice on projects where I use SDL, I can''t seem to use the turbo debugger for source debugging. When I try to do it all I get is a cpu assembly window when the debugger starts up. Console applications seem to debug fine though. I am doing this through the free turbo debugger and compiling my projects using the free borland 5.5 compiler. Full debugging info is turned on for my projects through use of the -v switch on the bcc32 compiler and the ilink32 linker as well. I also like to mention that I''m kind of new to using the SDL library but I was able to get it set up properly. I''m able to compile projects using this library successfully. Right now I''m just trying to find a way to debug projects that makes use of this api but this stupid debugger doesn''t wanna work. I''m also unsure of whether the issue is related specifically to the debugger itself or just the way the api is set up. I''ve also posted a help msg on the SDL mailing-list inquiring about this problem but haven''t gotten any response that''ll help me with this problem. Any ideas what could be wrong that''s preventing me from doing source debugging on projects using SDL? I''d really hate to go back to my old way of fixing bugs before I learned how to use a debugger;sticking cout''s and file output everywhere. Any solutions, suggestions, and comments on this problem are welcomed. Thanks


--{You fight like a dairy farmer!}

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Advertisement
Just a guess, but are you using pre-compiled SDL libs, or did you compile them yourself? Your debugger would need to be aware of the SDL source code in order to do source level debugging, and if you are using pre-compiled libs then it will not be.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
okie, looks that might be the cause of the problem. What I actually did was just downloaded the sdl source extracted only the borland lib files in there. Afterwards I just downloaded the run-time library just used that. I'm not using any actual compiled SDL source in setting this up.

All I did in my projects to get them working with SDL was include the sdl.lib and sdlmain.lib files during linking and also made sure the sdl.dll file could be found on the paths when running the program.





--{You fight like a dairy farmer!}

[edited by - Greatwolf on September 22, 2003 7:04:18 PM]

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Advertisement
×

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

Participate in the game development conversation and more when you create an account on GameDev.net!

Sign me up!