• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Muncher

Visual C projects...

This topic is 5564 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hello, I noticed you can add an existing project, to a project in visual c++ 6. How does this work?? and where would it come in handy?? Paul

Advertisement
Guest Anonymous Poster
You could organize your code into different projects like one for sound one for rendering one for AI...

You can choose to build just one project or all at once. You can set up the dependancies so that the workspace knows what order it has to build them in. You can have it build .dll''s for your rendering, sound, AI... and then build the executable out of you main project.

I use a lot of libraries and each one is a separate project. The benefit is that I can include a library in several programs just by adding its project to the workspace. When I fix bugs or make changes to a library, I only have to do it once and it is fixed.

cheers! thank for replying to my stupid questions

But say i divide my current workspace up into serveral ''projects'', one for sound/ai/graphics or whatever, how do i use those components from the base project?? Doesn''t each ''project'' produce an executable?? Better yet, are there any examples on the net that use multiple projects?? preferablly small ones...

Paul

No, you change each project''s settings so that they produce either .lib or .dll files (depending on which is more suitable for your project), and then link those libs in with your main project which is set to compile the final .exe. Afraid I can''t think of any example projects off the top of my head tho, sorry. :-/

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

GameDev.net is your game development community. Create an account for your GameDev Portfolio and participate in the largest developer community in the games industry.

Sign me up!