Better OpenGL or Direct3D?

Started by
2 comments, last by The_Krill 23 years, 9 months ago
I am new to this whole game programming thing (in c++) and I was just wondering, should I start to learn OpenGL or Direct3D? Direct3D is supported better by the cards now but I also want portability. We can''t be leaving the poor linux users out ya know. (Although 95% of them use Windows too) ----------------------------------------------------------------- Never argue with an idiot, they drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience. º¿º
Never argue with an idiot, they drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.
Advertisement
If you feel portability is important then it is OpenGL for you, and don''t worry about the driver support. They are already pretty good and by the time you are ready to release your game it will be even better.

However if you want to be absolutely safe, then I suggest you try to build an abstraction layer so you can easily choose the API you want afterwards. But if you are just beginning I wouldn''t bother with just now, it''s for when you are a bit more comfortable with the theory.

- WitchLord

AngelCode.com - game development and more - Reference DB - game developer references
AngelScript - free scripting library - BMFont - free bitmap font generator - Tower - free puzzle game

I think OpenGL is just the best 3d api. I also tried Direct3D,
but found it very hard to use (Probably because it''s from
Microsoft). I have a Voodoo add-on card, and couldn''t use it with
Direct3D, but in OpenGL you just use the good driver, and you do not have to care about multiple devices.

- MrDevlin
Direct3D''s overall ability and performance is now considered excellent, OpenGL is still better for cross platform support, and natively supports T&L, also some people still think it''s cleaner to write.

However the games industry (if that''s where you''re heading) still demands Direct3D as a requirement, being part of DirectX and also pushed for standard consumer support, some cards don''t support OpenGL as well as they should. (G400 anyone?)

Bluntly, pick one you prefer over the other, but whatever comes of it you must know Direct3D, alot of developers still use it over OpenGL.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement