Red Hat vs Mandrake, and a few other questions.

Started by
5 comments, last by HTML 20 years, 6 months ago
Ok, I know this has probably been asked a lot, but I am wondering what the big differences are between mandrake and red hat. I have only used both for about a week. btw- anyone know when mandrake 9.2 final will be out? My other question was are there any other distros like mandrake or should i say based on. i.e. Jamd is based on Red Hat. I like how jamd is only on one disk too. But anyway, is there such a thing or no? Or are there any other distros better? Thanks [edited by - HTML on September 23, 2003 1:00:33 AM]
Advertisement
I''ve been using Mandrake since 8.1 and liked it pretty well up until I tried Red Hat 9, and I like RH9 MUCH better, pretty much only because I like the config tools better (I got printing to a printer shared on a Windows machine to work! I could NEVER get that to work on Mandrake since PrintDrake seemed broken since 8.2). The only problem I''ve had with Red Hat so far is I can''t get RealPlayer to work due to some kind of funky threads something or other. Oh, and I kinda like Mandrake''s RpmDrake (i think that''s what it''s called) better than Red Hat''s package installer thing. Mandrake''s lets you search for packages easily (want to install SDL? Search for SDL and it''ll list all the packages associated with SDL!) but Red Hat has more of a Windows style manager where you have to select what you want and it automatically install everything. I usually just use rpm -i blahblah.rpm instead.

BTW, if there''s a way to search for individual packages in Red Hat, lemme know!

As for Mandrake 9.2, I''d estimate October, probably the later part of it. They usually have 3 or 4 release candidates prior to a release. But since it''s a smaller upgrade (.1 instead of a 1.0) they may release it tomorrow. I dunno.
I like the DARK layout!
Redhat if u ask me.

I have been using redhat since version 6.2
I also tryed mandrake back then but i didnt like it.
Blup
quote:Original post by Blaataap
Redhat if u ask me.

I have been using redhat since version 6.2
I also tryed mandrake back then but i didnt like it.

That must have been 5 years ago now!

Did I mention btw that I tried one of those computer thingies a while back. I didn''t like it. It used all of the space in a gymnastics hall, and it could only do basic arithmetics.
I prefer Mandrake, I''m running 9.1 right now. I had redhat installed (forget the version), no major issues, I just like mandrakes package installer, and it''s hardware config utilities are nice.

I did use Debian for a while, and found apt-get to be a godsend , but the overall package wasn''t that great. I think that''s all the distro''s i''ve really used (I''ve played with a few others, but didn''y use them for long).

Back to the topic: Redhat vs. Mandrake: They are both very similar in functionality, and the issues of 8.1 that these guys are talking about are long gone. I had no problem getting my windows shared printers working with Mandrake 9.0 and 9.1 (those are the only versions i''ve used, and 9.0 was almost a year ago, so these people are going based on something well over a year old by now).
I use RedHat 9 , for package management I use apt/synaptic.
I was influenced by the Ghetto you ruined.
quote:Original post by HTML
Ok, I know this has probably been asked a lot, but I am wondering what the big differences are between mandrake and red hat. I have only used both for about a week.

btw- anyone know when mandrake 9.2 final will be out?

My other question was are there any other distros like mandrake or should i say based on. i.e. Jamd is based on Red Hat. I like how jamd is only on one disk too. But anyway, is there such a thing or no? Or are there any other distros better?

Thanks

[edited by - HTML on September 23, 2003 1:00:33 AM]

The main difference between Mandrake and RedHat resides in their way of managing their packages. Mandrake has URPMi which deals with some dependencies but still needs a bit of work, where as RedHat has, RHN( the Red Hat Network ) which you need to pay for. You can still update RPMS manually through RPMFIND, FreshRPMS and all the other RPM sites like those but it''s just more of a drag as you have to solve the dependencies yourself. Although, you can get APT-RPM and Synaptic for the Connetiva which works wonders on RH. apt-rpm is a clone of apt-get from debian for RPMs. A wonderfull idea. It will probably be part of the new LSB since the RPM packaging scheme has been accepted into it as the new default. Now, the question is, will Debian start using RPMs? Or will they just drop the LSB altogether? that''ll have to wait for another time. Got to get back to work.

[Cyberdrek | the last true sorcerer | Spirit Mage - mutedfaith.com][ Administrator & WebMaster GuLSE]
[Cyberdrek | ]

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement