• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

cryo75

way to go about 3d tiles...

This topic is 5478 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi everbody, I''m design a 3d tile engine on lines of warcraft 3. I''m a little bit confused on how to go about it. One thing that I''m sure about is that I want to make it possible to have different elevations, but this should not be a problem, bcause I can change the y position of a vertex. My dilemma is... - Do I need to load tile meshes, and if yes, I guess I would need just one... a flat one?? - Will the tiles be loaded as textures and assigned to each different mesh in the map? - Is it possible to skip the meshes part and go for something simpler? - Would it be easier to implement terrain splatting or handle terrain transitions with separate tiles? I hope someone can give me some insights!! Thanks, Ivan

Advertisement
Look at this paper
http://vickijoel.dyndns.org/~joeld/3DTilesets.pdf

Hope this helps

(i googled for ''3d tile engine'')

got that doc a couple of weeks ago... has a good but brief description of the different tile engines used... still figuring out how mine will be!!

The thing is... what is faster??

1. A tilemap of textured quads (2 triangle strips), or
2. A tilemap with textured meshes

Ivan

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!