University Degree's.

Started by
3 comments, last by SA-Magic 20 years, 7 months ago
Summary: Should I change my degree to a business computing one, or perserve with doing hated maths to get onto a more games-industry-related degree? I really don't like the maths, but want the course a lot. Is any degree better than a failed one? Long version: Ben does GCSE's, Ben goes to college. Ben applies for uni while at college, but doesn't get enough merits to get onto his degree - that being in Visualisation(About), which is about computer made art and a degree Bob believe he needs to really get into the games industry.. Ben does Higher National Diploma (HND) in Computer Studies instead. I've recently started my second and final year of that. To get onto Viusalisation, I need to do Computing Mathematics as a module this year. I choose it because I really wanted to get onto Visualisation because I believe it hopefully leads to the games industry, or an easier path. Now I'm having second thoughts - the first lecture of it was today and was utterly boring. Perhaps my being tired and having a cold was related, but I hated it - I was never any good at maths. I'm great at most subjects and consider myself intelligent, but my brain feels almost 'dyslexic' when it comes to mathematics. I pretty much fluked ( = Had luck) for my GCSE maths, which helped me get onto my college course and now here. My alternative is one of the other degree courses related to my current course - Business Computing, Computer Science, Computer Studies, Informatics and Software Engineering. Business Computing seems ideal, as I'm already doing two of the modules I need for it (Multimedia Applications) and enjoyed business studies back in school. Those other degrees all require Computing Mathematics and Advanced C. Then again, Business Computing (Course info) isn't really games related - though people like Peter Molyneux, years ago, got into the industry with only Computer Science, as there were few computer-specific degrees available at universities. Is that still in effect? Or would I be missing out on skills such as computer related artwork from not doing Visualisation? What it comes down to is: Do I stick to what I'm good at, or follow the long, hard road to a dream I think I really want? Opinions are welcome. [edited by - SA-Magic on September 23, 2003 1:16:12 PM]
Advertisement
Here''s a hint, free of charge...

the very foundation of games is math. In order to understand how to make games, you must learn to speak the language.

If you don''t speak the language, how can you communicate with the natives?

...so yeah, definitely go for the biz degree. You will find that it is all busy-ness, and not much fun, that is, unless profit and power is what controls you...

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
"Kierkegaard reminds us that belief
has nothing to do with how or why.
Belief is beyond reason.

I believe because it is absurd."

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-"Kierkegaard reminds us that belief has nothing to do with how or why.Belief is beyond reason.I believe because it is absurd."
Thanks for that - even if it''s being truthful. :-S

What I believe I''m good at: leading others (I consider myself a "Born leader" - I do it naturally), sound editing (Have done it for fun for StarCraft campaigns for years - would love to do it for a living, though my uni doesn''t do it as a degree), and naturally a passion for games, including games design. I''m hoping, at this rate, to begin as a QA tester or so such and work my way up for there, with a dream of designing and making games someday.
You''re probably not going to get any degree unless you figure out the proper use of apostrophes first.

I''m much better with more than 6 hours of sleep after playing Generals till late last night, thank you.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement