Interpreting a Cryptic Error Message

Started by
1 comment, last by Erithil 20 years, 6 months ago
Hi, I''m a noob in every sense of the word. However, I have the job of carrying on with the development of software that was designed by a friend who has significantly more experience. The program is a windows MFC application written using Microsoft VC++ (6.0). I am now trying to chase down an exception that causes the program to crash with the following windows error message: Socket Notification Sink: RobotClient.exe - Application Error The instruction at “0x6c373922” referenced memory at “0xfffffff4”. The memory could not be “read”. I don''t understand how to interpret the message, but if one of you does, or there is some other info I can give that would help, please let me know. Thanks
Advertisement
I think (Don''t hold me to this) that you''re trying to reference a pointer that has been deleted. Run the debugger and find where that error gets called from. Once you know see if the object you''re trying to use has been deleted.

Another way you could do it is make a log. Logs are always good to have. You can just read the log and find where the errors at.

-UltimaX-

"You wished for a white christmas... Now go shovel your wishes!"
Run it in the MSVC++ Debugger and see where it crashes. It may be in a system function and not in your actual code, if this happens bring up the call stack window (this shows you what functions have been called in what order and from what lines) and find the function that called the system call the caused the crash (this function will be listed in the call stack).

As UltimaX said it looks like a pointer that you''ve deleted but then referenced again.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement