• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

OpenGL_Guru

Motion Blur - - Just a Bone to pick ....2 part question..

This topic is 5475 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

..with the graphics card makers... maybe someone can tell me why there is code out there and supporting calls to the graphics card to create motion blur yet, even with the newest ones, its slow as molasses and well, its so slow you cant even tell theres a blur at all. so maybe someone can tell me why people went through the trouble of creating calls for this motion blur but technically behind the scenes its just not supported? part 2: anyone have any good specific sites on reading vertex data from a file? im looking at reading in lots of data with lots of points(vertices) to render an object. i have some already but i would just like to see what i have missed thanks!

Advertisement
Yea, it seems like motion blur just kind of fizzled out. It seemed like the next hot thing, especially when 3DFX was working on it diligently, but since their demise, it almost seems that you hear nothing of it anymore. I''m still waiting for it also, I''d like to see it and be able to play with it on a working level.

Guest Anonymous Poster
Because people who try to write that code spent so much time in front of the comp, they saw blur even if the code wasn''t working.

Sorry, couldn''t resist.

Seriously, though, it would be interesting to see that.

well.. i figure since NVIDIA bought out Voodoo and 3DFX they should have to answer this question. the calls exist but they dont work. simple as that.

you can do motion bluring (and other nice things like depth of field) using the accum. buffer in OGL, however unless the card supports it in hardware its going to be hella slow as everything will fall back to software.

Now, i know the 9700pro supports a 64bit accum buffer and i''m guessing the 9500/9600 and anything over the 9700 will also support said buffer, but as for any other card i dont know. Used to have a modified program which would give you the caps of a card for opengl which showed the bit depth of the accum buffer, if anyone wants it (and the orignal prog) I''ll dig it out

the accumulation buffer they say is supported by the latest graphics cards, so they said that before too...BUT i assure you, you put accumulation buffer code in(i,e. glAccum() ) and it doesn't work! i am on a NVIDIA QuadroPro 2 Card now, and no motion blur here. also ive tried it on the GeForce 4 series and nothing doing there. im assuming that the new GeForceFX series nor the new ATI line does either. Sure, like you said, the card supports it, only because you make calls to it. the bottom line is that the performance for these calls are non-existant. thats what i was beefing about.

[edited by - opengl_guru on September 23, 2003 2:02:11 PM]

Using the accum-buffer, you''d have to write to algorithm for motion-blur yourself, as far as I know there are no standard functions for motion-blur using the accum-buffer.

Over at nVidia''s side I alos found this!

-Luctus

Statisticly seen, most things happens to other people.
[Mail]

indeed, u have to do all the leg work yaself.
Also, if you dont request a pixel format with an accum buffer then i dare say the glAccum() calls wont work.
And even if you request the format there is no garrentee (sp?) it will be in hardware, although all teh cards will give you one in software.

well there are standard functions for motion blur.. but they dont work, its so slow you cant tell its even a blur. when looking at books and code from previous books not that old the code including the glAccum() calls and others makes it sound like thats all there is to it, but in reality the calls do not work. i wish i had that last chunk of code i tried out.. so i can tell you what i mean.. ill have to look for it. , and that was an interesting link Luctus.. now i wonder what card(s) support this motion blur algorithm?

well, if you could dig the code out i dare say we''d understand what ya on about more

As for that algo. i would guess any card which supports hardware vertex programs would be able to do it

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!