• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

princec

PUPPY GAMES needs affiliate sales

This topic is 5381 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

We need to ramp up sales of Alien Flux now it''s got to a decent state. Puppy Games have incorporated affiliate technology into the latest release of Alien Flux (1.4f). It is now possible to track totally reliably where a sale has come from. We are offering a staggeringly huge commission close to 50% - $8. If you sell 1,000 copies of Alien Flux over the few months or years that''s $8,000 in commission for you - guaranteed. You need not sign up with any affiliation schemes; it''s all built in to Alien Flux. The only thing you have to do is host the demo on your website to start making money. Please contact me at cprince@puppygames.net with the subject "Affiliation" if you are interested in reselling Alien Flux. Cas Puppy Games

Advertisement
Guest Anonymous Poster
This (affiliation) is an interesting idea. I''m wonder if this can be expanded.

One of the big problems for indie developers is exposure. How to get the word out about your game. Folks here have discussed banner swaps before, but what if this was taken to the next step with affiliate sales?

Developers would form a network, each emphasizing their own game but also selling the game of the other members. Successful sales of a fellow member''s game gives a comission on the sale. This increases the chances of a casual surfer finding any particular game, because the games show up on multiple websites. Sort of the opposite of centralized distribution points like GarageGames.

One downside is that a lot of smaller and indie games are very similar, and the marketing efforts might conflict. But this is something that can probably be worked out.

Comments?

JSwing

Basically, pick games to affiliate that fill holes in your own lineup.

My only further comment is to do with return-on-investment. As an indie developer you have three basic costs: development of your own games, running your website, and marketing the games you sell on your site. I think affiliation is a great way to get developed games for free. Game development can easily be a third of your costs, but at with an affiliate sale you''ve cut that whole cost out of the equation. The naive calculation leads us to suspect that it''s 2/3rds the effort for half the profit which doesn''t sound so great; however we also have to consider the value of cross-selling and increased site traffic, which likely tip the balance well into favour of affiliate sales.

Taken to the extreme you''re a publisher, with no games of your own, like garagegames. They''re basically just a big affiliate reseller with knobs on and bells and whistles.

Cas

Affiliate sales can be an effective distribution medium. However, if you are prepared to give $8 in commission (for a $19.95 game) to affiliate websites, make sure they''re good ones. Perhaps you may want to offer a percentage based on customer traffic? Or even better, since you can track exactly where it was downloaded from, offer a higher level of commission for a certain number sold. Eg. 5% for first 10 sales per month, 10% for next ten sales and so on. This will give your affiliates incentive to sell as many as possible in a shorter amount of time.

Hope this helps, God bless
The Warrior Poet
The Gambian Colonel

quote:
Original post by princec
We need to ramp up sales of Alien Flux now it''s got to a decent state.

Puppy Games have incorporated affiliate technology into the latest release of Alien Flux (1.4f). It is now possible to track totally reliably where a sale has come from.

We are offering a staggeringly huge commission close to 50% - $8. If you sell 1,000 copies of Alien Flux over the few months or years that''s $8,000 in commission for you - guaranteed.

You need not sign up with any affiliation schemes; it''s all built in to Alien Flux. The only thing you have to do is host the demo on your website to start making money.

Please contact me at cprince@puppygames.net with the subject "Affiliation" if you are interested in reselling Alien Flux.

Cas

Puppy Games

Interesting proposition. I''ll surely look into selling it once the new piebert entertainment site goes online.
You can''t beat 8$ a pop for selling something that had 0 development time.

Piebert Entertainment
------------------------------------------------------------
GDSFUBY GameDev Society For UnBanning YodaTheCoda
If you want to see yoda unbanned then put this in your sig
------------------------------------------------------------
CANINM(N2)—Coalition Against Newly Instated Nazi Moderators (Namely 23yrold3yrold)
Join by putting these lines in your sig.

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

Participate in the game development conversation and more when you create an account on GameDev.net!

Sign me up!