water

Started by
8 comments, last by guts 20 years, 6 months ago
hi! i just finished my geomipmap terrain. now i want to implementate water + a reflection of the landscape on the water. i already know how to implement the water, but there are so many ways to the reflection on the water. which methode do you prefer? i''m thinking of cubemaps, but i''m not sure how i could implementate this in my engine. thanks in advance. guts
Advertisement
you could use sphere mapping...

our new version has many new and good features. sadly, the good ones are not new and the new ones are not good
Off topic.. but 666, that is sick (the crap posting one)
Disclaimer: "I am in no way qualified to present advice on any topic concerning anything and can not be held responsible for any damages that my advice may incurr (due to neither my negligence nor yours)"
I think sphere mapping runs faster, but cube mapping looks better. There both pretty straight forward to implement. I''m not sure (i havent'' done any dynmaic environment mapping), but i think with dynamic cube/sphere maps, the cube map would be easier to develop (just 6 renders of the scene) where as with sphere maps you have to fish bowl the image (could somebody confirm this?)
With cube mapping though, could you get away with just 5 sides of the cube, since water will mostly be in a planar surface?

Another method would be just a straight forward stencil reflection, if the water was flat.

[edited by - jamessharpe on September 23, 2003 3:30:14 PM]
the dynamic sphere map sounds good.

is this correct:

activate a pbuffer,
position the camera ... (where)
render scene onto pbuffer
render the scene normally
bind the pbuffer as the water texture
render water

so where shall i position the camera before rendering the scene onto the pbuffer ?!

666 is no problem.
Believing in god and doing things because of god is sick!

Remember crusades? DesertStorm?

But it''s your personal oppinion....
There are 10 kinds of people,those who understand binaryand those who not.
quote:Original post by Martin Foerster
666 is no problem.
Believing in god and doing things because of god is sick!

Nothing wrong with that either, depending what what "things" one is doing. Killing people and crap like that. . . eh. . . Yeah, sick. . .

Back on topic: from where would one render the cubemap for such a large reflective surface? Obviously for a relatively small object (compared to the landscape), one would render the cubemap from the location of the centre of the object. However, it appears quite a bit more complicated a matter for a large scale water surface. . .
-Ostsol
so, were shall i position my cam?
quote:Original post by guts
so, were shall i position my cam?

It seems to me that the best place to position the camera is found by reflecting its position about the plane of the water.
John BoltonLocomotive Games (THQ)Current Project: Destroy All Humans (Wii). IN STORES NOW!

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement