• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

EvilKind

Why have platform games lost their popularity?

This topic is 5376 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Why have platform games lost their popularity? Platform games were one of the most popular game genres of the early 1980s to the mid 1990s, now all but forgotten by the majority of gamers and developers. Why is this? Super Mario Brothers sold 40 million units for the NES and nearly half of the top 20 best selling games of all time are old platform games so why into today’s age of video games are they not so popular. Would you say it’s because gamers expert more from their games and the platform genre is not evolving fast enough, unlike the rate of FPS or any other genre for that matter? Is there any reason or many reasons the platform game no longer dominates the video games market. I would like to know all of your views on this matter. Thanks

Advertisement
Platform games have, to some extent, fallen by the wayside in the quest for photorealistic 3D. It''s hard to make a platform game that doesn''t look antiquated, and I think most publishers don''t want to take a chance on a game that risks being viewed as antiquated.

That''s not to say that the subgenre is dead, tho. Have you seen Viewtiful Joe?

How appropriate. You fight like a cow.

That, and they were totally done to death in the late 80''s and early-to-mid 90''s. Some companies were just cranking out platformer after platformer with little or no gameplay innovations - practically swapping in new artwork on an old game. So it''s not just the graphics that feel antiquated & tired... it''s the gameplay.

I think there''s plenty of room for innovation & cool NEW gameplay in the 2D platformer... but people have to think outside of the box. If it''s just another same-ol, same-ol platformer... there''s a zillion of them out there and hardware to play them on, so unless you are doing it just to educate yourself, why bother?

Has not the FPS genre not been totally done to death as well, but it still continues to advance with the likes of half-life 2, Doom 3, Call of Duty, etc on the way.

Can I think of any plaformer on its way that holds the success of Super Mario Brother or is going to compete with the success of these FPS products, nope. Can I think of any future platformer, why not?

Is it that FPS for example are where the easy money currently lays and gamers are still prepared to buy an upgrade of the same product?

Sports games have been around for a long time, why are they booming more then ever?

Do gamers just don't like platformers any more or is it because there were no TV channels to watch in the days of Mario?

Care to comment.

[edited by - EvilKind on September 23, 2003 3:23:12 PM]

[edited by - EvilKind on September 23, 2003 3:24:23 PM]

People want flashy plain and simple.. Platformers aren''t flashly and they don''t push the limits of a gamers machine so it must be crappy.. thats what I beleive..

plus platformers don''t allow as much freedom as a FPS or The Sims or a MMORPG.. I personally find them too structured

Please visit Turt99 Productions

Were not Tomb Raider''s level considered vast at one time? She was an explorer as such.

Why does no one want to play the latest Tomb Raider, graphics not flashy enough? She even has another film out to encourage you to explore them platforms.

There is Viewtiful Joe if you''ve got a Cube. And there are a few PS2 games which, depsite the 3D camera following you around from an angle, gameplay and map-wise are side scrolling platformers. There is some PC platform game in development, I just can''t remember it''s name. It''s been mentioned on IGN a few times.

They''re not entirely dead... on life-support, but not quite dead.

Megaman X and Megaman X4 are high on my list of all-time favourite games. So is Demon''s Crest, Super Metroid, and Bonanza Bros. So yeah, platform games are great.

Want a more depressing example of a "dead" genre? The arcade-style high-speed racer. F-Zero for the SNES is also on my list of all-time favourites. Wipeout XL and DethKarz are the best ones I''ve seen on the PC, with Rollcage 1 and 2 being very close. F-Zero GX and Metroid Prime are THE two compelling reasons for me to get a Gamecube and a TV.

More great platform games; "Oddworld: Abe''s Oddysee", "Heart of Darkness", "Mischeif Makers", "Rayman" (all of ''em, even the 3D one)...

And if you want to stretch the definition of "platform" a small bit, you can actually even fit "Legacy of Kain: Soul Reaver" (1 and 2) into the platform definition, as well. Platform doesn''t always mean 2D.

I wish they weren''t as dead as they''ve become, but they certainly aren''t the _only_ good genre anymore, which is why they''ve disappeared. What was the selection, in the 1980s and early 90s? Platformers, RPGs, Puzzle, and "Other" (light-gun, first-person adventure, second-person adventure, etc).

Platformers aren''t dead; like someone said alot of 3d games play like platformers with an extra dimension. Classic sidescrolling platformers however are difinitly on the outs which what I think you meant. Thats ok, it only creates niche markets for innovative indie gamedevers to tap into.

I''ve been studying/playing all the old SNES platform roms errr games I can find lately and there was ALOT of crap put out. (www.cherryroms.com) However some were truly awesome as we all know.

I have a concept for a sidescrolling platform game that is so sick and revolting no on will want to play it, but you will anyway because of the only truely origional gameplay idea I have ever had. It is so slick and innovative you won''t be able to get enough of it. However, due to the nature of the game it will be somewhat art intensive which means it will never get made. Oh well....

Heh heh, yes this is my Top Secret project which will remain just that.

The world needs more platformer beat em ups
mmmhmmm
I got the hulk on my cube.. definatly is a platformer beat em up game. Learn from this game people. It may not be the best but the concept of gameplay in it has an extraordinary amount of room for improvement.

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

Participate in the game development conversation and more when you create an account on GameDev.net!

Sign me up!