Why have platform games lost their popularity?

Started by
42 comments, last by EvilKind 20 years, 6 months ago
No, I think platform games are comming back because they are fun and challenging! 3D is kind of stupid because its not as challenging. Myself - I''ll probably never (in my life) create a full-fledged 3D game. I hate them... they''re so... BORING! A while ago I played the Legend of Zelda 64 but I could never finish it because it was boring. I also found Super Mario 64 kind of boring. Basically, I think 2D games will come back because I still play them and so do many of my friends.

"I have an $86000 company! What do you have, moron?"

- FrancoisSoft

FrancoisSoft
My Research
"I have an $86000 company! What do you have, moron?"- FrancoisSoft:) FrancoisSoft :)My Research
Advertisement
quote:Original post by Turt99
People want flashy plain and simple.. Platformers aren''t flashly and they don''t push the limits of a gamers machine so it must be crappy.. thats what I beleive..

plus platformers don''t allow as much freedom as a FPS or The Sims or a MMORPG.. I personally find them too structured

Please visit Turt99 Productions

Ahhh... 3D games don''t really have a goal. They''re not challeging!!!

"I have an $86000 company! What do you have, moron?"

- FrancoisSoft

FrancoisSoft
My Research
"I have an $86000 company! What do you have, moron?"- FrancoisSoft:) FrancoisSoft :)My Research
that new wario world game is pretty cool. its like a 3d game set as a side scroller. that new contra is supposed to be a return to side scrolling also.

[edited by - omegasyphon on September 30, 2003 11:45:18 AM]
People are making a lot of generalisations in this topic. The fact is any style of game can good, if it's executed well enough. No style of game is bad by nature, it's all about how it's done. A game that's well thought out, and made by dedicated people who care about what they're creating, not just thier paycheck, are the games that stand out from the rest. Just adding that little bit extra, and putting in that little bit more detail than most people would is what really makes a game. Also, I think I should point out that platform games are a style of gameplay, not an era of graphics.

That said, the best games don't always sell the best, and that's why we don't see many platformers nowadays. The current mindset of the casual gamer is 2D platformer = old and crap, so large gaming establishments aren't willing to gamble on them.

[edited by - Nemesis2k2 on September 30, 2003 1:46:21 PM]

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement