• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

fguihen

starting a game

This topic is 5557 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

im a 3rd year in college doing computing. i have to make a game for a project , which if i fail then i fail the course. i would like someone to recommend some books or tutorials to me. i want to use java and direct x but i am not adverse to learning c# to make the game with. all help appriciated. thanks all

Advertisement
Java and DirectX is an interesting combination, I haven''t tried that one yet.
I would think any game book for C++ could be used to learn Java game programming, but most books on game programming are for C++.
I would suggest you learn C++, and consider using OpenGL instead of DirectX, from past experience with examination of projects, because OpenGL is a somewhat lower-level Graphics library it tends to bring more respect of your programming skills.

-------------------------------------------
Here''s to the crazy ones, the misfits, the rebels, the troublemakers, the round pegs in the square holes, the ones who see things differently.

quote:
Original post by swiftcoder
Java and DirectX is an interesting combination, I haven''t tried that one yet.
I would think any game book for C++ could be used to learn Java game programming, but most books on game programming are for C++.
I would suggest you learn C++, and consider using OpenGL instead of DirectX, from past experience with examination of projects, because OpenGL is a somewhat lower-level Graphics library it tends to bring more respect of your programming skills.

Here''s to the crazy ones, the misfits, the rebels, the troublemakers, the round pegs in the square holes, the ones who see things differently.

I wouldnt say it is lower level. Infact, i have heard that you can also do alot of low level things in DX as well. However, i feel that OpenGL is alot easier to pickup for someone new to 3d programming.

Mystique Legacy : Rise of the Forgotten World

Shoot me down if I am wrong, haven''t looked at this for a while, but I think that you will find there isn''t a directx sdk for java only opengl wrappers.

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

GameDev.net is your game development community. Create an account for your GameDev Portfolio and participate in the largest developer community in the games industry.

Sign me up!