• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

fguihen

doing game for college project. need information to start off with

This topic is 5479 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

im a 3rd year in college doing computing. i have to make a game for a project , which if i fail then i fail the course. i would like someone to recommend some books or tutorials to me. i want to use java and direct x but i am not adverse to learning c# to make the game with. all help appriciated. thanks all

Advertisement
Making a game with DirectX and Java is going to be difficult. Take it from me, I''m developing a commercial application that runs directX using Java, and if you are just starting this will be tough.

I also don''t recomend you use Java3D (it renders using OpenGL or DirectX but is neither, and everything you learn will have to be un-learnt.)

If you want to use Java, I recomend JOGL, the OpenGL bindings. Otherwise learn C++ and DirectX/OpenGL and you''ll have no problem. OpenGL has tons of tutorials all over the net, and DirectX... well if you use Development Studio and the DX9 SDK, you can build a project that starts you off pretty well. (It''s quite cool, I wish we had this 3 years ago when I first wanted to use DirectX.)

You basically can''t use DX and Java. I''m writing a DX engine in C++ compiled as a DLL and accesing it with java using JNI. It''s more of pain than it''s worth unless it''s necessary.

Don''t know much about C#, but with .NET you can theoretically write a DX game in COBOL, and I know it''s easier to learn.

Hope some of these suggestions help you out.

Here''s what you do:

1) Buy the book, "The C Programming Language"
2) Buy the book, "The C++ Programming Language"
3) Bookmark "The Red Book" online.
4) Read all 3 books
5) Write your game in C++ with OpenGL.

GL is easier to learn than DX.

quote:
Original post by 31337
3) Bookmark "The Red Book" online.
4) Read all 3 books
5) Write your game in C++ with OpenGL.

GL is easier to learn than DX.

K, why are you starting a flamewar??

.lick

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!