• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Mikey21

3d Game Maker

This topic is 5560 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Does anyone know where I can find a freeware 3d game design program like Game Maker? I''m sure this question has been asked before, but the search keeps giving me errors. And no, I''m not trying to make an MMORPG with Quake 4 graphics, I just something so I can get experience in level design without having to code, compile, and debug an entire game engine.

Advertisement
quote:
Original post by Elfs1der
The 3d game maker here is c++ and OpenGL or directX, hehe just had to say that

Oh yes, very witty indeed. Except that you didn''t even bother to read his post.

quote:

I just something so I can get experience in level design without having to code, compile, and debug an entire game engine.

Anyway, I''ve heard good things about the torque engine (I don''t use any engines, however), but it may require some coding.

HUmm... a freeware might be a bit hard to find. But in the GDNNews, I saw something about a mini trueSpace called gameSpace or something. Go scroll down a bit in the index and you''ll see the link to the website.

If you want modeler, just to try to see if you can model, try Blender. (Disclaimer: You cannot sue me for having major headaces, migranes, or suicidal thooughts because you tried to use Blender without reading any tutorials.)

WiseElben.com | My Journal | My Profile
[edited by - GameDev Staff on September 27, 1989 9X:58:97 XMS] For violating Article 43 Page 456 Paragraph 251 Line .042]

quote:
Original post by Mikey21
And no, I'm not trying to make an MMORPG with Quake 4 graphics, I just something so I can get experience in level design without having to code, compile, and debug an entire game engine.

If you don't want to actually write a game, then don't. You can get plenty of level design experience by making maps for other games.

But if you're not afraid of coding and just don't want to write an engine yourself (a sentiment I perfectly agree with; writing engines seems like a terrible waste of time), I suggest OGRE. It's an incredibly cool open-source 3D engine that will let you get a game up and running with an incredibly small amount of fuss. It's brilliantly designed and very flexible, so you can make anything from an RTS to an FPS or a RPG with it. 3D only, though.

[edited by - twix on September 23, 2003 9:08:16 PM]

Guest Anonymous Poster
I''ve just been checking out Reality Factory, a freeware game design system that doesn''t require coding. The engine is a bit dated but would be great for experience. It includes a world editor, and can take actors from Milkshape, an extremely inexpensive modeler. The pawns(non-enemy npc''s) can be scripted so it''s quite flexible and can be done in first or 3rd person perspective. There are tutorials on the web, and an inexpensive downloadable book to get going on it.

I noticed Reality Factory was made by 3dGenisus, a popular freeware 3d engine!

I also noticed in a Google search, that it has like 10 official websites... 0_o

WiseElben.com | My Journal | My Profile

Projects: nMagic | WiseData - Comming Soon!

[edited by - GameDev Staff on September 27, 1989 9X:58:97 XMS] For violating Article 43 Page 456 Paragraph 251 Line .042]

Guest Anonymous Poster
You can download the latest version of Reality Factory here:
http://www.realityfactory.ca/v2/

It''s rf070.exe

If you''ve got $13 to spare the e-book is pretty good.
http://www.bookshock.com/order/mk3dorder.php

ah yes reality factory, very good indeed. and it was made by the g3d community (esp. dairyman), and the ENGINE ITS BASED OFF OF is Genesis3D (not 3dgenesus)

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

GameDev.net is your game development community. Create an account for your GameDev Portfolio and participate in the largest developer community in the games industry.

Sign me up!