• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Qa303asmGuru

How to create a .tga image with alpha channel in psp or aps...

This topic is 5480 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Okay so I've read some of the help docs and I'm still lost. Anyone just want to explain how, or know of an articles that explain how to create a targa (.tga) image WITH an alpha channel (transparency layer) in Paint Shop Pro (preffered), or in Adobe Photoshop? I know how to code it using OGL, I just don't know how to create the damn images with a trans layer. Any advice or link to a USEFUL and INFORMATIVE tutorial would be greatly appreciated (btw, I've googled for this and not found much). -Q | My Unfinished Page | | I need answers! | | Genaside presents: Hazard Ball | | Maddox | [edited by - qa303asmguru on September 23, 2003 8:41:09 PM]

Advertisement
In Photoshop:

On your Layers/Channels/Paths tool bar, select Create New Channel (at the bottom of the Channels tab, beneath the Red Green Blue channels list.)

This creates an alpha channel. And that''s it. Select the channel and use your tool of choice to draw within it, or do whatever you have to do. Any pixel with 0 in this channel will have an alpha of 0. Any pixel with 255 will have an alpha of 255. Etc...

When the time comes to save, save as a TGA.

Not sure about PSP, but it''s probably pretty close to the same.

Josh
vertexnormal AT linuxmail DOT org

Check out Golem at:
My cheapass website

One way to do it in PSP.

Make a 8 bit greyscale image, and "paint" your alpha channel.

Also have a TGA file open.

Top menu.. Masks->New->FromImage.

THen Masks->Save to Alpha channel of the TGA file.

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!