• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

HTML

Partitioner like Partition magic 8 in linux?

This topic is 5376 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

i want to take some of the empty space on my windows partion and add it to my linux one, but my windows partion isnt working yet so any way to do it? thanks

Advertisement
*bump, is there any program to partition some of the windows space on to my linux partition on red hat ? any other suggestions?

There''s parted. But it sucks. Note, however, that Partition Magic does linux partitions just fine.

How appropriate. You fight like a cow.

I know, but my windows partition is messed up until I get my old motherboard in, oh well, guess ill have to wait..thanks anyways

I would mention that qtparted is included on recent versions of knoppix. If you don''t have a handy knoppix, then there are bootdisks with just parted on. However, the official gnu downloads of those parted images are presently offline.

quote:
Original post by -vic-
There''s QtParted. It''s great. Looks like Partition Magic.

QtParted is a front end to parted, and hence sucks just as much as parted.
Things you CANNOT DO in parted/QtParted/GParted/WhateverParted:
* create ext3 partitions
* move around ext2/ext3 partitions
* do pretty much anything with ntfs partitions

Thanks, GNU, but I''ll stick to evil commercial software for now.

How appropriate. You fight like a cow.

Last I used it, I thought I made ext3 partitions. Then again, ext3 is just ext2 with journaling added on top. Even if parted doesn''t allow the creation of ext3, once you install your favorite distro, it should come with some utility to "convert" it from ext3 to ext2.

I use Debian, and it uses kernel v2.2 by default. Ext3 is not available in it. I usually end up upgrading to 2.4 then converting to ext3. So that might have been the case.

And there is always ReiserFS. I haven''t used it, but others say it is sweet.

But if you need the capability to move NTFS, then you might want to stick with Partition Magic. Otherwise, parted works fine for me. QtParted sounds like something that people might find more usable, although I appreciated the simplicity of the console based parted.

quote:
Original post by HTML
i want to take some of the empty space on my windows partion and add it to my linux one, but my windows partion isnt working yet so any way to do it?

thanks

Just take a Mandrake CD, start the install and when you''re at the partitionning part( which by the way, was code given by the people of partition magic to Mandrake ), do your stuff and save your new part. table and voila.

[Cyberdrek | the last true sorcerer | Spirit Mage - mutedfaith.com][ Administrator & WebMaster GuLSE]

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

Participate in the game development conversation and more when you create an account on GameDev.net!

Sign me up!