C++ and network programming.

Started by
3 comments, last by RanBlade 20 years, 7 months ago
Hello all, I have always been into the creating game side of the gaming industry. What I praticulary like is the server coding and client coding for online games. Now I have read C++ Weekend crash course to relearn the C++ i learned in High school. It was a good book for a refresher but lacked a lot of detail. I was wondering if anyone had other suggestions on books that maybe arent in the resource section of this page that are good or some insight on ones that may not be so hot that are listed on resource section. thanks for your time RanBlade "Passion is what drives you to stay up until 4am fixing that bug that hardly anyone would notice...Passion is where great games come from, if you dont live and breathe games you shouldn''t be in the games industry." - Dave Pottinger, Ensemble Studios

Eric Ranaldi a.k.a RanBlade

[size=1]"Passion is what drives you to stay up until 4am fixing that bug that hardly anyone would notice...

[size=1]Passion is where great games come from, if you dont live and breathe games you shouldn't be in the games industry."

[size=2]- Dave Pottinger, Ensemble Studios

[size=1][GameDev][C++ Page][Unity Game Engine][Panda3D Game Engine][NeHe Productions][Drunken Hyena][MSDN][Beej's Guide to Network Programming]

[size=1][FreedBSD][My Site][Gamasutra][Khan Acadamey]

Advertisement
Just wanted to make sure i didnt confuse anything. But the books iam looking for aren''t just ones that tell you how to do it but help you get a deeper understanding of how/why/when to do it. thx again

Eric Ranaldi a.k.a RanBlade

[size=1]"Passion is what drives you to stay up until 4am fixing that bug that hardly anyone would notice...

[size=1]Passion is where great games come from, if you dont live and breathe games you shouldn't be in the games industry."

[size=2]- Dave Pottinger, Ensemble Studios

[size=1][GameDev][C++ Page][Unity Game Engine][Panda3D Game Engine][NeHe Productions][Drunken Hyena][MSDN][Beej's Guide to Network Programming]

[size=1][FreedBSD][My Site][Gamasutra][Khan Acadamey]

Check out the book list a few of us have thrown together.
Kudos to _dot_ for coding the page up.

Or you can have a look at the ACCU book review site (link in signature).

[ Start Here ! | How To Ask Smart Questions | Recommended C++ Books | C++ FAQ Lite | Function Ptrs | CppTips Archive ]
[ Header Files | File Format Docs | LNK2001 | C++ STL Doc | STLPort | Free C++ IDE | Boost C++ Lib | MSVC6 Lib Fixes ]
"Debugging is twice as hard as writing the code in the first place. Therefore, if you write the code as cleverly as possible, you are, by definition, not smart enough to debug it." — Brian W. Kernighan
I highly recommend Network Programming for Microsoft Windows, Second Edition by Anthony Jones and Jim Ohmund.

Kuphryn
It sounds like you are looking for
"Effective C++" by Meyers.

It''s chock full of do''s and don''ts for using standard and advanced language features of C++.

I''d recommend it to anyone doing C++, professional or hobbyists.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement