For a more realistic lighting, using lots of triangles ok?

Started by
5 comments, last by johnnyBravo 20 years, 7 months ago
Im trying to get a more realistic lighting working on my surfaces. Im trying to use vertex shaders but im having alot of trouble to get my objects to even show with it..other post http://gamedev.net/community/forums/topic.asp?topic_id=181764 So i thought in the meantime i could just create a heap of triangles on each surface to give a more realistic feel. But this would require heaps of vertices. Im wondering if there would be any speed problems with this. By heaps i mean say i have a map, with walls, floors to make a building complex, i would make the triangles on the surface not that small as the view point is quite high and the building will look small form the view point(an isometric view) Thanks
Advertisement
I still didn''t get your "heap". if you could elaborate a bit on it.

But if you''re fighting for realistic lighting, you could try lightmaps and store them along with your map database, yeah but those would be static you see.

You could try projecting colored and alpha blended triangle fans on flatter surfaces to add dynamic lights to some extent.

You see pretty good effect put into effect through these techniques in quake2 and III.

But yes, they''re no match for the programmable pipeline capabilities.
ah thanks, yeah i am using dynamic lighting.

The thing is i intended on making a decently looking game, so i thought i would use the basic d3d for it. But then i learned more and more, and wanted to use more, like i didnt even intend on using lighting, but now.....

By "heap" i meant "lots of".
As in: she piled a heap of clothes onto the bed
This isnt the first time someone hasnt understood what i meant from something like that.
Hey what country you from?im from australia

[edited by - johnnyBravo on September 24, 2003 8:53:25 AM]
I know what heap means actually ... man! do I sound that dumb. What I am not sure about is that what purpose are you trying to solve with a "heap" of triangles. And that too, in some way, to enhance lighting.

I''m from India. The caption of my posts say that.
I think he means he is subdivideing his triangles so the lighting calculation is more acurate, and this will work at the cost of fillrate, I beleve there is some sort of Npatch thing you could do that would take care of this easily
Bobboau, bringing you products that work... in theory
It''s not an increase in fill rate. It''s an increase in vertex processing and triangle setup. You''re still filling the same number of pixels, you''re just sending down more vertices.
I don''t understand how increasing the number of triangles can overcome the need of a vertex shader. Instead of per pixel lighting, yes. But you still have to do per vertex lighting.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement