• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

stephenfx

3DS MAX export polygon?

This topic is 5561 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hello all! I have read some 3DS max export plugins source code, each of them export triangles. But I think polygon is more efficient, is that possible to expot polygons from 3DS MAX? And how about gmax? regards.

Advertisement
Indexed triangle strips, fans or lists are the fastest way to draw geometry on hardware period. Arbritary polygons are tesselated into triangles by the drivers anyway. Polygons are definitely not more efficient for rendering than triangles are.

Guest Anonymous Poster
quote:
Original post by Impossible
Indexed triangle strips, fans or lists are the fastest way to draw geometry on hardware period. Arbritary polygons are tesselated into triangles by the drivers anyway. Polygons are definitely not more efficient for rendering than triangles are.

hello
please take a look at this post:http://www.gamedev.net/community/forums/topic.asp?topic_id=180961
And I agree with "Rocket05".

I'm sorry, but Rocket05 is wrong. If you're using OpenGL immediate mode calls using polygons will result in less API calls, although it's still probably a better idea to use triangle fans. It's much better to use a vertex array of some type.

Edit: Ahhhh... I see you don't want to use the polygons for rendering, but for generating a BSP tree? You can easily just ignore triangles that are coplanar with a node, but you should also be able to export polygons from Max using the Max SDK if you have a mesh that isn't triangulated. I'm not too familiar with the Max SDK, so I can't tell you how. You should look at the Max SDK documentation.

[edited by - impossible on September 24, 2003 10:31:39 PM]

Hi Impossible!
Yes, you're right. I'm about to write a BSP exporter for 3DS MAX.

regards
--stephen

[edited by - stephenfx on September 25, 2003 6:32:29 AM]

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

GameDev.net is your game development community. Create an account for your GameDev Portfolio and participate in the largest developer community in the games industry.

Sign me up!