New in opengl

Started by
4 comments, last by Guto 20 years, 6 months ago
Hi, My name is Carlos and I´m starting in Opengl programming. So, I would like to know if I need some kind of api or library to program in visual c++!!! I´m glad for your help, Carlos Augusto
Advertisement
new in programming? computers? forums? life?

obviously.

opengl libs come with visual c++. you may need to download GLUT and or GLAUX if you want them. GL and GLU should be there.

all this info (and the answers to all the questions you are about to ask regarding my answer) are on <a href="http://www.opengl.org">WWW.OPENGL.ORG</a>. more visual c++ specific stuff will be in the msdn

google could have told you this stuff...

Did it occur to you that both opengl and visual c++ might have manuals and websites answering your question? Ah yes it''s easier to just ask...

Sorry if this is a bit blunt but the image of yourself you are projecting is of a kid who wants other people to help him, even before he has tried. People are thinking "if he won''t even look things up, whats the point in telling him anything? He''ll just decide it''s too hard and give up when he realises we won''t hold his hand".

You have all the info you need. I''ll even throw in this <a href="nehe.gamedev.net">***special bonus***</a>

Prove me wrong.
take it a little easier on him... at first, i was looking for the opengl sdk all over google too :D

[edited by - charsoft on September 24, 2003 1:54:20 PM]
i agree with charSoft. i too was looking everywhere for the openGL API/SDK. when getting started it''s always best to just ask the starter question i think. It puts you in the right groove and makes the first 2 weeks a pleasent research experience instead of a head banging against the wall frustration nightmare.

in the future, carlos, you will find that you get a much warmer reception in the For Beginners forum on this site for basic getting started type questions.

good luck

-me
Carlos:

First off, welcome to the NeHe community! (no, i''m not the official greeter :-p ) OpenGL is an API for Visual C++, and you should probably make sure you have the latest version of it on your computer. More than likely it''s already installed on your computer if your running Windows XP. Version 1.1 is the only one available for download, and the newer versions are for your video card drivers.

To simplify what i just said, download the first demo for OpenGL from NeHe''s tutorials and open up the .dsw file. Compile the project, it should compile with no problems. Then run it.

If you have errors with compiling (like it can''t find opengl32.lib or a gl.h file or whatever) then head over to www.opengl.org , under "users" goto download, then download the self-installing .exe file. Then head over to your video card manufacturer''s website and get the last video drivers for your card.

But that shouldn''t be necessary.

Good luck to you! Hope this helps

P.S.- Carlos, you double posted and i didn''t notice :-p so i reposted it here. you should probably delete one, just select "edit" next to the title, then check the "delete" box and enter your name/password, make modifications...

Oh, and mr "Anonymous Poster", nice of you to flame a nooby on a a forum that you A. either don''t visit that much (hence no user name, anonymous) or B. are too ashamed to reveal your identity on. This is a welcoming community, we do not need people coming in here and flaming newbies for the fun of it. Getting started in OpenGL can be hard, so take it easy. It seems to me like this guy is mexican and doesn''t speak english all that well...not necessarily a "helpless child" ( i apologize if it appears that i am profiling...your ethnicity makes no difference to me). Grow up bro.
Here Here

I would also like to welcome you to the BEST opengl web page you will find out there and you will find that everybody is very friendly and helpfull, so don''t feel like you can''t post your questions here(without getting flamed),cause thats what this forum is for. Again welcome and I hope to see you in one of NeHe''s demo contests someday

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement