• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

superdeveloper

Virtual file system in memory?

This topic is 5384 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Specifically speaking, RAMDISK. Is there any tutorials/libraries for creating a Drive letter that maps to a memory block? In my program (win32), I would like to create a new drive (say e, format it if necessary(Fat32), and save data to it/read data from it.. Then once my program ends, shutdown this resource. Is this an impossible task?

Advertisement
Guest Anonymous Poster
memory mapped files

*shrug*

I know it sounds strange, but here it goes:

1) I have mp3''s, midi, pictures, etc.. all in a single zip.

2) I can manipulate the zip and pull out files, etc..

3) I use direct show to play my audio, but direct show seems to only handle explicit files (i.e. intro.mp3). I don''t want to expose my mp3 in separate files, and I like it in the zip (since the zip is encrypted).

4) If anyone can post a tutorial on how directshow can read files that are not on disk, but in memory, then the whole VFS idea can be discarded. Better yet if anyone can demonstrate how direct show can play mp3s in memory, I would appreciate it.

I am so extremely dissapointed in DirectShow for not being able to do this, that I may scrap the mp3 idea all together. If I spend another 2 more days trying to make my IGraphBuilder play a mp3 that is resident in memory, I may snap and smash my computer to bits.

I''m so pissed off, I am considering paying someone to produce a solution where my mp3 can be played by supplying a "char * buffer" (that I fill with my mp3 data), and an "int" for the buffer size.

www.cppnow.com

Oh My God! Filters can be customized to accept memory data.

I can safely cancel this whole VFS. too much risk, and besides, I''d need to order the Platform DDK ($25, not much but still)...

DirectShow Filters can be customized to do anything. DirectShow graphs can be built to make them do it.

There might even be a memory source filter available. You could even write a zip source filter if you wanted to.

[edited by - Magmai Kai Holmlor on September 28, 2003 2:59:02 AM]

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

Participate in the game development conversation and more when you create an account on GameDev.net!

Sign me up!