• Advertisement

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Loading bitmaps into VRAM

This topic is 5290 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Lately i''ve been using some graphics in my programs, but I want to now use BMPs and make a map editor for something i''m planning on doing for practice... but before I even build a full plan on how to approach this idea, I want to know the best way of handling bitmaps. I know I can store them into VRAM, like I have been... but my question is this: Is it sensible to load ALL of your bitmaps into VRAM? or between maps (in my game), should I look up which ones I need, and load them in from a file as they are needed? It seems easiest to load all the data in at once and work with it, but this might not be the best way to handle this, since I know if I have about 256 32x32x256 tiles in one file, reading in the whole thing at once might be pressing on older systems without much VRAM at all. Honestly, I think it''d work fine to load them all in, but I rather ask before wasting my time doing it one way, then having to redo it in a harder way.

• Advertisement