• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

SSJCORY

How long does it take to get a decent grip on DX?

This topic is 5476 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

How long did it take you guys to get a basic understanding of DirectX... I am a noob/inter programmer just got done learning as much windows as I care too and i''m trying to decide wether or not Directx is going to take too long.
Favorite Quotes:Gandalf: You shall not pass!|Gollum: My Precious!|Smeagol: My little hobbitses.|

Advertisement
Depends on several things.

How fast are you at learning, how much experience have you had in the past, how good are you at programming c++ already?

I knew c++ quite well before DX, and it still took a good 3 months before I had a good enough grasp on it. (That was back in DX5)

It all depends!

If you know COM object interaction system well, then learning the basics of DX will only take about a month.
When i started, my biggest problem in learning DX was the usage of void pointers cast to interface pointers, when you ask the system for the device interfaces

However, the actual 3d modeling, audio, input, and networking are the hard parts, and they''re not at all DX specific!

kind rgds, and good luck on your career,
Nik

How many hours a week are you devoting to learning DirectX ? If it`s less then 10, then it`s gonna take you up to 6 months.
If you can play with dx daily for about 3 hrs, then it`s gonna take you about 3 months, but you`ll always learn some new stuff even year after this.

VladR
Avenger game

a day.

It all depends on what you already know. The API itself is very clean and logical, but if you''re not experienced in programming and computer graphics it might be a bit much in the beginning.

Guest Anonymous Poster
5 or 6 minutes?

Well, I wonder what you are asking. You could say that you are really asking 2 questions.

#1 How long before you are comfortable (notice i didn''t say decent grip, because of the huge size of it, you always want something more to speed it up and look better)?

I got comfortable with D3D in about 2 months, with a book
though.

And #2 How long before you could easily set up a NEW d3d program? For me, i am still working on a framework(it works, just adding functionality) but about 10 minutes.

Simply put, if you are asking, then you probably lack a lot of patience. Just go at your own pace. At times, it will be exciting *remembers first animated mesh* and at times you are going to break computer *remembers time computer started smoking* Give it some time. Took me 6 months (that is with direct3d, sound, music, input, and show)

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!