• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

a1hatch

Texture mapping....

This topic is 5475 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I am on tutorial 6 at the moment, and downloaded both the glut, and game glut tutorials. I noticed that the glut tutorial includes a tga loader, whereas game glut uses raw rgb files. My question is, in practical game design, which is better to load from, tga''s or raw''s? I searched around on google for info on this, and found none. Are there specific advantages/disadvantages? If im looking to be as cross-platform as I can, is one better than the other? Thanks in advance Art

Advertisement
I use TGA, they are pretty good. You can have an alpha channel, compress, all that good stuff.

TGA is more flexible than RAW and since you only load the texture once performance isn''t an issue. Today harddisk storage space is cheap, so it doesn''t really matter.

cool guys, thanks for fast responses So far it seems the general consensus is tga.... feel free to recommend any type, im interested in everyone''s opinion :D

Based off the current opinions, ill be using the GLUT conversion of NeHe''s code with the TGA include to manipulate TGA files. But again, if anyone has any suggestions, feel free.

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!