Texture mapping....

Started by
2 comments, last by a1hatch 20 years, 7 months ago
I am on tutorial 6 at the moment, and downloaded both the glut, and game glut tutorials. I noticed that the glut tutorial includes a tga loader, whereas game glut uses raw rgb files. My question is, in practical game design, which is better to load from, tga''s or raw''s? I searched around on google for info on this, and found none. Are there specific advantages/disadvantages? If im looking to be as cross-platform as I can, is one better than the other? Thanks in advance Art
Advertisement
I use TGA, they are pretty good. You can have an alpha channel, compress, all that good stuff.
TGA is more flexible than RAW and since you only load the texture once performance isn''t an issue. Today harddisk storage space is cheap, so it doesn''t really matter.
cool guys, thanks for fast responses So far it seems the general consensus is tga.... feel free to recommend any type, im interested in everyone''s opinion :D

Based off the current opinions, ill be using the GLUT conversion of NeHe''s code with the TGA include to manipulate TGA files. But again, if anyone has any suggestions, feel free.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement