who are the top three most respected programmers participating on these forums???

Started by
38 comments, last by jasonmanley 20 years, 6 months ago
I think he''s trolling.. he''s saying a nerd should be a nerd and not enjoy art.

As for the most respected, my vote would be for all who have helped me with my noobish questions and not douse me in flames

I fseek, therefore I fam.
I'll give you a beating like Rodney King who deserved it!=====================================Any and all ideas, theories, and text c2004,c2009 BrainDead Software. All Rights Reserved.
Advertisement
quote:Original post by Brien Shrimp
I don''t about "top three" but superpig (aka Richard Fine) is pretty high on my list. He''s straight-foward and knows his stuff. And he''s very easy to talk to. He''ll sooner explain something carefully to a newbie than talk down to them.

He''s a knowledgable and respectful peer. Hope I didn''t make you blush, Richard.

Heh, too kind, Mr Shrimp... but I do think that any excersise to pick the three ''best'' coders out of all the people here is an excersize in sheer futility. Quite aside from the fact that ''best'' is very, very subjective, it''s that there are so many talented people here that trying to pick out three doesn''t really get you anywhere.

I tend to find that most of the moderators make the most interesting posts, along with many of the older (i.e. more mature) posters. Three doesn''t begin to cover it; try three hundred?

Superpig
- saving pigs from untimely fates, and when he''s not doing that, runs The Binary Refinery.
Enginuity1 | Enginuity2 | Enginuity3 | Enginuity4
ry. .ibu cy. .abu ry. dy. "sy. .ubu py. .ebu ry. py. .ibu gy." fy. .ibu ny. .ebu

Richard "Superpig" Fine - saving pigs from untimely fates - Microsoft DirectX MVP 2006/2007/2008/2009
"Shaders are not meant to do everything. Of course you can try to use it for everything, but it's like playing football using cabbage." - MickeyMouse

feel free to post 300...i dont mind.

jason manleypresidentMassive Black Inc.www.massiveblack.com (oct 2003)founderwww.conceptart.orgjasonmanley@onebox.com
quote:Original post by superpig
Heh, too kind, Mr Shrimp... but I do think that any excersise to pick the three ''best'' coders out of all the people here is an excersize in sheer futility. Quite aside from the fact that ''best'' is very, very subjective, it''s that there are so many talented people here that trying to pick out three doesn''t really get you anywhere.

I tend to find that most of the moderators make the most interesting posts, along with many of the older (i.e. more mature) posters. Three doesn''t begin to cover it; try three hundred?

I agree with you, there are a lot of very talented people around here and each have their own niche.

quote:Original post by jasonmanley
thank you bio...programmers who appreciate art amaze me.

like a lion that enjoys a nice piece of pumpkin pie.

j

I don''t think that a programmer that enjoys art is as out of place as the lion on your analogy.

I have found that programmers do enjoy art, they just don''t necessarily know how to create it the same way "artists" do.

Programmers are artistic in a different way, hopefully you recognize that.
quote:
thank you bio...programmers who appreciate art amaze me.

like a lion that enjoys a nice piece of pumpkin pie.

j

Is it really that amazing that some programmers appreciate art? I don''t know a single non-artist programmer who isn''t amazed by what artists can do. I know that I am. Most programmers don''t mention that they appreciate art simply because they don''t understand all the work that goes into creating good art.

On the other hand, most non-programmer artists I know seem to view programming merely as a tool to display their work. I don''t mind that, but it sometimes is frustrating, because an artist isn''t familiar with code. So they''ll ask you to add some code for some feature that''s really easy to do and think that it''s hard. Then they''ll turn around and ask for something that would take a really long time to write code for, and think that it should be the easiest thing in the world.

j
In my eye''s we all are the best. We help each other out in any way we can, so that makes us the best. I don''t favor one over the other. Yes the ones mentioned are very good, but we all have a strong point. Music, art, programming, designing, etc.

-UltimaX-

"You wished for a white christmas... Now go shovel your wishes!"
Reading the first post I would say:

SabreMan
Sneftel
superpig

but I really don''t visit the graphics forum that''s possibly why Im missing Yann and Jim Adams
HardDrop - hard link shell extension."Tread softly because you tread on my dreams" - Yeats
quote:Original post by Sander
Well,''I think they are the following:

<a href="http://www.gamedev.net/profile/profile.asp?id=14817">John Carmack</a>. You know, from Wolfenstein, Doom, etcetera. Ofcourse his buddy <a href="http://www.gamedev.net/profile/profile.asp?id=32649">John Romero</a> who worked with him on those games. And then there''s <a href="http://www.gamedev.net/profile/profile.asp?id=34155">Shigeru Miyamoto</a> from Mario, Zelda, etcetera.

um Miyamoto isnt a programmer, he is a producer/director

that would be....

1. me
2. me
3. me

there you have it

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
"Kierkegaard reminds us that belief
has nothing to do with how or why.
Belief is beyond reason.

I believe because it is absurd."

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-"Kierkegaard reminds us that belief has nothing to do with how or why.Belief is beyond reason.I believe because it is absurd."
quote:Original post by Anonymous Poster
quote:Original post by Sander
Well,''I think they are the following:

John Carmack. You know, from Wolfenstein, Doom, etcetera. Ofcourse his buddy John Romero who worked with him on those games. And then there''s Shigeru Miyamoto from Mario, Zelda, etcetera.

um Miyamoto isnt a programmer, he is a producer/director

I think those are fake anyway. Someone decided to set up accounts with their names I bet heh

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement