• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

winsoft2003

About 3D Terrain Rendering.

This topic is 5561 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi, I just began to learn Direct3D.Recently, I wrote a simple terrain rendering programme.The detail is that I initialized a part of vertex buffer,using height map,and then attach a texture to it.However,I feel the terrain is too simple. I remembered In 2D Tile-Based game, we could connect some tiles to an entire map.Could I split the vertex buffer,and set different tile texture for each vertex buffer,just like the tile in 2D game.How to do that? Thanks!

Advertisement
Yes this is possible, (but AFAIK quite uncommon). Just build an index buffer for every different textur, which only indexes triangles were this textur should appear. I guess you will also have to disable bilinear filtering or you have artefacts whenever a texture doesn''t tile seamless with itself.

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

GameDev.net is your game development community. Create an account for your GameDev Portfolio and participate in the largest developer community in the games industry.

Sign me up!