Mergeing 3d and 2d

Started by
4 comments, last by darkbard 20 years, 6 months ago
Hi guys, I''d like to know how can I use 3d models rappresenting characters, builds and so on in an isometric 2d eviroment. there are any articles about that?? another question: warcraft 3 is only 3d?if if isn''t (i don''t think so, but it could be): which tecniques programmers use to render a 3d-like eviroment?? bye
Advertisement
As far as my knowledge goes, Warcraft III is fully 3D

I dont know how to combine 2D and 3D like you say, but you could just make 3D seem 2D isometric, by setting the camera in the right way. It can still be fast enough, since you can set the level of detail quite low with isometric views (depends on your view of course) and you can have some nice effects which make it look better than a 2D game

if you really want to go with 2D (I dont see why since 3D has so much hardware support nowadays) I have no clue on how to do this

| Panorama 3D Engine | Contact me |
| MSDN | Google | SourceForge |
Read some tutorials for making maps for Total Annihilation and that should give you some ideas on how they did it.

You sound like you are starting to work on a game simular to the one a few of my friends are working on. If you are looking for a team to join let me know and i''ll give you some details about our game.
I''ve seen RPGs that use a 3D-2D system. Shadow Madness for Playstation comes to mind. What they did was draw the levels then create a mask that shows walkable, unwalkable and walk-behinds. Then characters were inserted as 3D models for flexibility. Is there a particular part of combining the two that has you confused?
7|-|3 p057 @b0v3 i5 c3/^7i|=i3|) 1337!100|< |=0/^ j||3|/|7
Then there was Final Fantasy Tactics which did it the other way around (2D sprites on a 3d terrain)
The trick is to go fully 3D and use transformed vertices for the isometric map. For DirectX8 or 9, the API is 3D based anyway so it''s hard to do a 2D map any other way with those. If you give your iso tiles a z coord you can use the z-buffer to mask off foreground and backgroud areas to make the inclusion of 3D models easy, just place them in the right x/y/z location and the masking would work automatically. If using DirectDraw, you''re probably best ignoring it! and using 3D all the way anyway. That''s the way I''d do it if I had to do an iso game.

I saw a tutorial about it once... perhaps here. Try searching the articles.

Mark

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement