platform games?

Started by
2 comments, last by Metus 20 years, 6 months ago
hi. i''ve just finished metal slug x on the playstation, and i found it pretty entertaining; no complicated gameplay, just pure brain-dead action. my personal opinion is that there are to few platfor games today. right me if i''m wrong, but since the gaming platforms (pc, ps2, xbox) became powerful enough to render 3d, simple 2d (except some rpg''s) was forgotten. what if we used all the great hardware and programming techiques that exist (bones, reflection, bumpmapping, lighting... etc) and created an awesome "3d-shooter-with-2d-perspective"?
Ethereal
Advertisement
That''s exactly what I''m working on.
what an coincidence. i''ve got some small ideas myself, but hasn''t anything done yet?
do u got something to show?
Ethereal
quote:Original post by Metus
what if we used all the great hardware and programming techiques that exist (bones, reflection, bumpmapping, lighting... etc) and created an awesome "3d-shooter-with-2d-perspective"?

Or better yet, come up with some new fun gameplay mechanics. I thought Shiny made some of the best platformers awhile back. Earthworm Jim using his body as a whip made that game so much cooler than all the other bland platformers coming out on the SNES / Genesis back then. And I''m a huge fan of Wild 9 on the playstation.

You could do some interesting camera stuff with 3d hardware in a platform style game, but it could easily get distracting and annoying too.

I still see games of the platform style, they just aren''t as 2d oriented. And some are just as fun, I thought Mario 64 was just as good as the old Mario games.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement