what do you think about HL2 leak?

Started by
184 comments, last by Pseudo 20 years, 6 months ago
I''m interested in hearing what everyone thinks about the claim that the Half Life 2 source was leaked. Slashdot has a link up about it right now. They seem to say that it looks legit, but I dont trust a word out of the mouths of 99% of the slashdoters. How do you think this will impact the game if at all, and do you guys condone (sp?) a hobbyist checking out the code? I think it would be good to learn from, and maybe toy around with. If it is real, do you guys think Valve will try to make a good thing out of a VERY bad thing? For instance, it may even help find bugs and insecurities. Basically, I just wanna know what you guys think.
Advertisement
I think it rocks as we all get Havok 2 and Miles Sound System for free!

Too bad we can''t use it...
Its a very good thing. Software should be free.
I think people should just wait for the SDK at least then it will compile.

if it is real I bet valve are pretty pissed as it contains info on steams verifcation.

It''s awful! Their unfinished hard work spread out like that.
I would be furious if it was my program being released like that!

And!!! All software should certainly not be FREE! I think that is a rubbish idea.

That was just my thoughts!

Cheers

My game: Swift blocks
DISCLAIMER: If any of the above statements are incorrect, feel free to deliver me a good hard slap!My games: DracMan | Swift blocks
ohh and dont forget the STEAM code inthere, now valve needs to rewrite a huge part of steam because some ashole rat has released it (i dont know if its the real code... but i hope it isnt)...

3words:
releasedate->sourcecode->nohl2release@30th
=>i think they should let mr release a leak let pay for the dammage...

T2k
I don't think anybody has any idea what kind of effect this will have on Valve or HL2 assuming it is legit, because afaik it has never happened before on a project under so much of the public's eye.
If it is legit, it makes a big question about how something like that could happen. Only thing I can think of is some social hacking on steam because it doesn't verify the email address of the account (so somebody could have put a valve email in there and another dev might have thought it was the actual developer. It HAS happened once already on steam but the person just got a little info they shouldnt have because they weren't actively trying to get anything and they quickly admitted they were not the real person).
Somebody on the anadtech forums posted a single file(one of the ones that would probably be in the sdk) from the whole and it did indeed look 'real', and it looked simmilar to the mod code for hl1 (and they did say they tried to keep it simmilar so porting mods would be easy)

[edited by - extrarius on October 2, 2003 4:57:34 PM]
"Walk not the trodden path, for it has borne it's burden." -John, Flying Monk
quote:Original post by Extrarius
I don''t think anybody has any idea what kind of effect this will have on Valve or HL2 assuming it is legit, because afaik it has never happened before on a project under so much of the public''s eye.

Quake?

Quake II?

Both were leaked, AFAIK.

Indeed.

I think that the source code will give me a lot of new ideas on how to do things diferently.

I am looking forword to comparing comersial code to mine.

Also: There is a lot of talk on Slashdot about porting the shit to Linux, i am pro for that

Rate me up.
Are you sure? ID themselves released the source long after they came out, and I''m sure there were probably leaked version of the program, but I don''t remeber hearing anything about leaked source before they were released.
"Walk not the trodden path, for it has borne it's burden." -John, Flying Monk

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement